Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should the 8000 Mile Service cost on a VTX1800? I get the feeling the only Honda dealer in the area is ripping me off. Unfortunately, they have no competition to worry about. I can't do the work myself.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,697 Posts
DIY is best. Not sure what cost would be at dealer.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
532 Posts
Are there no "Independent" motorcycle shops around? doesn't have to be a HONDA dealership mechanic. What all is included in the 8,000 mile service? About 10 yrs late for that??!!

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Yeah.... what is supposed to be done at an 8000 mile service? I suspect valve gap should be done and I've heard many stories of "stealers" just listening to the sound of the engine, saying "good enough", not actually checking any valve gaps, and still charging you the $300 or whatever a valve job is supposed to cost. I do not think there is a single 8000 mile maintenance item that cannot be done by yourself.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
Where do you live? I think its a good idea to let others know who is a good dealer and who is a rip-off outfit, hence the nickname 'stealer', not dealer. And according to Judge Judy, it is not illegal to badmouth a place if they deserve it.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
lets see...

a not listed year of a 1800

spark plugs are 100,000 miles
valve adjustment at 8,000 miles and every 16,000 after.
oil change with a oil filter.
inspect brakes, fluids,
final drive drain and fill

DONE.

my 2005 "F" has 91,000 miles.. factory spark piugs are doing just fine.
yes, I got it NEW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts