Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for 3 years and I've owned my 2009 VTX 1300C for 2. The bike was purchased from the dealer brand new and all of the 16,000 miles are mine. Since purchasing the bike, I have alway let the dealership perform scheduled maintenance. I have however began doing my own oil changes and even managed to swap out the rear tire. So here's my question. Should I even attempt to do the scheduled 16k maintenance (thus saving myself $400.00) or should I stick with the professionals. AND as I will be putting the bike up for the season, should I do the maintenance now or wait until next spring. If I wait, I will still "winterize" the bike myself.

Inquiring (and thrifty) minds want to know!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you have successfully done your own oil change and can handle the rear wheel, there is no reason you cannot do ALL of the required maintenance yourself. On this site your will find a copy of the service manual as well as many tutorials on things like valve adjustment, coolant change, brake pad replacement and brake fluid replacement, etc..

As for when to do the maintenance - I use the winter storage period as time to do all the scheduled maintenance as well as any mods I may like to do. But, this will depend on your situation. My bikes are kept in a heated garage attached to our home and are easy to get to when I have time during the long cold Canadian winter. :)

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
:icon_arro What he said, minus the long, cold Canadian winter!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I park mine in the winter and then every spring do the valves, oil, filter, and other major maintenance before riding season starts...If I happen to reach the mileage where the valves need to be checked during riding season, I'll go ahead and set aside a Friday night/Saturday morning and do that job when the odometer says it's time...Right now I'm at about 31,000, and needs to be done again at 32,000...Not much decent weather to get another 1000 miles in this year, so I'll just do it a bit early come springtime...As far as skill, if you can do your own rear tire, you can do the rest..Save the $$ and read some of the excellent write-ups on "how-to" and do it yourself...

OR...If you read the how to on the valves and decided that's beyond your capabilities, find somebody to help you out....Dealers are notorious for not doing all the work they say they do, and charging you a bunch of cash to do the job half assed....Just noticed you're in Bolingbrook...If that's Bolingbrook Illinios, I do bike work on the side (weekends), and am meticulous about everything being done correctly...And I don't have the high overhead a dealership does...For instance, dealers charge anywhere from $200-$300 for valve check/adjustment, I do 'em for $150....But the bike has to be here on Friday evening and cool off overnight, or trailered in (not started that day whatsoever) Saturday morning and I can have the bike ready to ride home Saturday morning...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts