Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my FPR went out on me as I was riding home on Monday. Loss of power, tons of backfiring, running like crap.

I pick up a new FPR from a local Honda shop. Thursday afternoon I replace the FPR and change the oil. This FPR lasts for a grand total of ONE-HALF A MILE before I twist the throttle and have all the same problems.

I have another FPR that I picked up, and I'm going to change it out this weekend. My question is, how often do you find yourself changing out your FPR? My old one lasted about three thousand miles (nine months or so). I figure that the one that died after half a mile was a dud. What's your experience with this?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,402 Posts
Hopefully you got a refund if that is indeed bad that quickly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm assuming it's the FPR. If not, then I have to try to troubleshoot the fuel system and see where it's going tits-up.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Yes, that black disc on one side is only there to protect the O ring underneath! So many forget to remove it. It should be change once and forget it. If that isn't the problem, then start checking electrical- 90% of what can go wrong on ANY internal combustion engine is electrical in nature. I heard that DECADES ago, before everything was electronic & computer controlled. So much more can go wrong now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, my FPR went out on me as I was riding home on Monday. Loss of power, tons of backfiring, running like crap.

I pick up a new FPR from a local Honda shop. Thursday afternoon I replace the FPR and change the oil. This FPR lasts for a grand total of ONE-HALF A MILE before I twist the throttle and have all the same problems.

I have another FPR that I picked up, and I'm going to change it out this weekend. My question is, how often do you find yourself changing out your FPR? My old one lasted about three thousand miles (nine months or so). I figure that the one that died after half a mile was a dud. What's your experience with this?
My 2005 and 2006 still have originals. Lots of cross country miles.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
I haven't read about those years having the issues the earlier 2002-2003's, and some of the 2004's have had, and continue to have. It's a $40 insurance purchase if you are lucky enough to NOT have had this problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I've replaced that part twice, and it's still running ragged. I'm not a mechanic. I don't have days to sit around and troubleshoot this bike. I'm getting rid of it.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,402 Posts
It's not the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I've replaced that part twice, and it's still running ragged. I'm not a mechanic. I don't have days to sit around and troubleshoot this bike. I'm getting rid of it.
Or you could just fix it?
Someone will get a nice bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Could" I fix it? Maybe. Probably not. As I said, I'm not a mechanic, and I don't have hours to sit around wrenching and troubleshooting. If I can't trade it in, I'll just junk it or sell it for parts.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
How often to replace?
Don't know, I doubt the first owner of my 2003 1800s replaced it before I bought it at 14k miles.
I now have only about 1500 miles to go till I reach 100k and I have had no problems.
(I just knocked on my head).
:unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts