Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I know how to post a video - as a public service announcement - I'd like to post Gonzo1970's YouTube video for the purpose of 'comparison-setting' your idle speed to proper 900 rpm, if you don't have a tachometer. Just play the video/audio on your phone, tablet, or laptop and adjust your Throttle Stop Screw Knob to match the cadence. And many thanks to Gonzo for making/posting that video ~4 years ago on YouTube - it has always been very valuable!

:cheers:

^^^ Above, you should see a YouTube video screen with a red 'play' button, not a hyperlink. If you see a hyperlink, then on your mobile device, select 'full-desktop view' or equivalent - or simply scroll to bottom of this page and select "vB4 Default Style" in the bottom-left pulldown menu in the dark-blue bar across the bottom of the page.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Sounds like mine!:choppersm

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
My scoot with warm engine in 1st gear indicates about 2 MPH on speedometer with engine at set 940 RPM, 2009 VTX1300 'C". :patriot:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Reactions: mjklaser

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Do you guys know how to post videos to facebook?

Relax, it is an old reference to a commercial, it's a rhetorical question.

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I glad you posted that. My idle is way too low. I will set it correctly, and once that is done I will rejet the carb.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
I glad you posted that. My idle is way too low. I will set it correctly, and once that is done I will rejet the carb.
Good that you reset your idle TUGG a low idle is really not good for the VTX engine as the oil pressure will drop so low as to not provide adequate oil pressure to the top of the engine if allowed to idle below the recommended RPM for and length of time.

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't get the video link to work. It redirects to a non-existent website for me....

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
If on mobile device, select full-desktop view, see if that works... or scroll to bottom of this page and select "vB4 Default Style" in the bottom-left pulldown menu in the blue bar...

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good that you reset your idle TUGG a low idle is really not good for the VTX engine as the oil pressure will drop so low as to not provide adequate oil pressure to the top of the engine if allowed to idle below the recommended RPM for and length of time.
Thank you for posting that, Jim! :cheers: It's the main reason I've always wanted to see this video here on the Café - I think that some owners (or previous owners before them) might go for the 'HD-type engine lope' - which is inappropriate for our engines as you stated so well - it might sound cool, but not is good in the long run...

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So that worked...
Doh!
Thanks, Bubba' - I just went and put those instructions at the bottom of the 1st post, in case others have the same issue that you did...
:cheers:

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Accurately. a portable 4 cycle engine Tachometer.. you do not have one? :) mine also does 2 cycles also.

close is good.. Honda calls for 900 to 1,000... no it should NOT sound like an HD at idle..

potato. pause. potato. pause. potato... etc NOT.

·
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Accurately. a portable 4 cycle engine Tachometer.. you do not have one? :) mine also does 2 cycles also... close is good.. Honda calls for 900 to 1,000... no it should NOT sound like an HD at idle..
potato. pause. potato. pause. potato... etc NOT.
^^^ +1! I've got a little service tach like you describe... only ~$35

Pay no attention to the 750 reading... that's where idle WAS set when I got it...

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.p...achometer-for-our-bikes?p=1478937#post1478937

1 - 18 of 18 Posts