Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These instructions have been posted several times in several threads over the last few years, but I'm getting requests to put it in it's own thread.

This is the product that the VAST MAJORITY of Cafe Members use to clean their bikes. It has become so popular due to it's effectiveness and the praise campaign that Cafe members instituted two years ago that even Johnson and Johnson took note, checked in, read our emails and now have officially put "motorcycles" in their commercials and advertising due to our "discovery."

It works! Most of us never "wash" our bikes anymore at all, especially those of us who rarely mess with the wheels at all.

So here it is...

How to use regular Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner on Your Motorcycle

...and save a fortune on overpriced products that do NOT work as well!

BEGINNING NOTES:

• Over 90% of the time you won't have to "wash" your bike. Just use the Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner (regular).
  • IF your bike is covered in mud or other crap, of course hose it down or whatever first so there's not going to be anything on the surface that will stratch your finishes when you start cleaning with the Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner. (Watch your electricals and NEVER run a powered hose into the axles of the front wheel...trust me on this.)
  • IF you have a LOT of bugs on the windshield soak a towel with hot water and let this rest on the shield for a few minutes first while you get your stuff together. Otherwise...
All you have to do is get TWO (2) micro-fiber cloths and the little blue can of Multi-Surface Pledge (regular unscented is perfect, but NEVER get the Lemon - it attracts bees, wasps and YELLOW JACKETS like you wouldn't believe!):
  1. Spray the surface you want to start with the Multi-Surface Pledge (little blue can - no LEMON).
  2. Take one cloth (A) and clean it off.
  3. Then take a new/clean different cloth (B) and use it to wipe off the pledge and polish.
  4. Do NOT mix up the cloths. :nono: (the second cloth should always be clean and dry)
  5. Save the second cloth (B) to use as your first cloth (A) the next time you clean again.
  6. Wash the first cloth (A) so it will become your new/clean cloth (B) the next time around.
I do my bike in small sections. It makes it go faster for me. Something to drink, old 70's tunes and a good cigar seem to help as well. :beer:

Do each section first by spraying, wiping down with cloth A and then going over that section again with dry cloth B:
  • windshield (only use an up and down or a left and right stroke - never both and never swirl)
  • front lights, fender and forks (I almost never do my wheels - I ride too much to worry about them - but that's just me.)
  • grill, highway bars, horns, pegs and mirrors
  • tank area and handlebars
  • engine area on the right
  • engine area on the left (need a stool if you're over 55, hurt or just too fat - I've been all three - or put on lift in the first place)
  • pipes, side covers and shocks
  • bags (if you have them)
  • rear fender, light, plates, rack and sissy bar
Now, just throw both cloths in the bags, fire up the bike and take a ride!

NOTES:
  • If I'm really taking my time and enjoying the music, it takes me about 40 minutes.
  • Try not to do this in the wind or direct sunlight. The pledge can dry too quickly and it will be a tad harder to buff and get the SHINE. This is usually when first time users will whine about streaking. Most of us have never seen streaking...not even once.
  • IF you have to work in wind or sunshine, then just do smaller sections.
THERE ya go! ...that's all there is to it! ;)

You can carry the can and cloths with you and spot clean if need be while on rides, missions or bopping from vendor area to area at rallies and stay looking really spiffy with no effort at all! Of course it's great on the road with other X's on a group ride, too!

Enjoy! :choppersm

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Thanks Cage, and your write up is a good refresher for us northern types new and old who are still trying to completely shake off the winter.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I ALWAYS have a can and some rags in my bag...Great stuff!!! I like the new cans with the much easier spray nozzle! Thanks for the writeup...Right on the money!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nice write up. Right now I have the "Honda Shine" in my garage and I've used that several times to really good results. I haven't tried the Pledge trick yet, however it sounds like it'll produce the same results (of course with a cigar and a nice single malt or craft brew I'll clean the bike real nice and slow :drunk:)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Using Pledge is an old Goldwinger's trick. At least that's where I heard it from back in the 90's. But back then you couldn't get "multi surface" Pledge. We also used Honda Cleaner, but it was more expensive and they took it off the market for a while due to some ingredient in it. When they brought it back out it didn't do as good a job. It smelled so good.
We'll be using your method now. One thing we do though is take our bikes to the self-serve car wash and spray off the dirt and grime so we don't rub it into the finish. We take one big towel with us for each bike, and dry them off there, then come home and detail (sort of). We do take care not to get the electricals wet and have never had a restart problem to come home. I would much rather ride than clean my bike...not good with spoked wheels. :eek:

·
Chi-Town Darksider
793 Posts
Exactly why I have a bottle of it in my saddlebags and some clothes at all times. Great write up!

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Great post Cage, this Pledge is the schizzel for rizzle... and I have found when primitive camping that the pledge works well on myself as a cleaner as well.

Yup, typically what I do is the wax on/wax off method... Carefully clutching a soft cloth in each hand...

Word of caution though, .....if you try this inside your tent at night, you do need to turn the lantern off, so as not to cast any unusual shadows... (Actually I can no longer stay at any State Parks in Ohio ever since the "incident"... :()

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using Pledge is an old Goldwinger's trick. At least that's where I heard it from back in the 90's. But back then you couldn't get "multi surface" Pledge. We also used Honda Cleaner, but it was more expensive and they took it off the market for a while due to some ingredient in it. When they brought it back out it didn't do as good a job. It smelled so good.
We'll be using your method now. One thing we do though is take our bikes to the self-serve car wash and spray off the dirt and grime so we don't rub it into the finish. We take one big towel with us for each bike, and dry them off there, then come home and detail (sort of). We do take care not to get the electricals wet and have never had a restart problem to come home. I would much rather ride than clean my bike...not good with spoked wheels. :eek:
It was an "inside" secret for private pilots as well. Things took a whole new turn (for the better) when the Multi-Surface came on the scene.

Believe it or not, it actually took some time to get J&J to even listen to us about it's effectiveness! They didn't want to get sued by the motorcycle manufacturers who produced their own stuff or by riders if something melted or otherwise went bad, I guess. Thus, they turned it over to their R&D people for trials.

Musta turned out ok, 'cuz the Legal Eagles all passed on it, and that's how the commercial with the motorcycles in it came about.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
"inside" secret for private pilots as well." yep been using it on the windscreen since 79 when I got my license. we only go up and down tho.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Excellent as usual.

A couple of good points you made.

Hot cloths for the windscreen.
I take out a hot bucket of water with me and the blue Scott Shop Towels to soak in it and then lay them over the windscreen, the fairing, bars, grill, front fender, front of the packs...anywhere I get bug smears. They stick really easy to any vertical surface unlike a towel. After a few moments, the bugs are really easy to remove and easy to clean up afterwards. I also keep a couple of the Scott Shop Towels rolled in my tool kit. They won't rip like a paper towel and when on the road and you have to help a HD repair his bike, they come in handy to clean up with in the middle of no where.

For Microfiber - I use the Microfiber Mitts when doing my bike.
I use two for the 'A' cycle and two for the 'B' cycle - both hands at the same time.
It seems to cut down the over all time. When they get dirty, I roll to the other side and just keep going.

On the windscreen drying pattern. Also being a pilot, I use only the up/down on the windscreen. It seems to makes it easier for beads to clear when it gets wet out.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Has anyone used this product, or have any ideas about using it on a semi flat black finish. No Clearcoat. Looking for something to protect a bit. Thinking about picking up a can, and trying it out on a small area first.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone used this product, or have any ideas about using it on a semi flat black finish. No Clearcoat. Looking for something to protect a bit. Thinking about picking up a can, and trying it out on a small area first.
Not sure. I use it on my flat black skid lid helmet to clean the bugs off. Doesn't make it any more shiny or look any different than being "clean." I've used it on my Rx sunglasses to get bugs off...works slick as snot!

But that's what I'd do...try a small section first. Just follow the routine exactly. Then it's easy and you won't be having any issues.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Pledge, been using it on motorcycles since 1968.......:choppersm

long before Goldwings...1975 LOL. and yes I did buy a New Goldwing in 1975.

Keep riding, shine it up when its raining or dark out.

and some OLD biker told me about Pledge back then.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Jeff, is that a Cessna 337 in the background (or an O-2A)?
Maybe pole mounted? A buddy of mine has it as an O-2A fully dressed as Airforce with rocket modifications that we fly in shows.
Just a cool pic opportunity or does it have meaning to you?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
"inside" secret for private pilots as well." yep been using it on the windscreen since 79 when I got my license. we only go up and down tho.
Bought a can of it today, along with some new microfiber cloths. :)

1 - 20 of 207 Posts