Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I took a "mental health day" from work today and told my boss to go to hell. Being self-employed, that's not always easy... Anyway, I decided to take my VTX13 out for a late-morning run and did a ~100 mile trip into the country. It's around 38C here at the moment, or 100F to our US brothers, and it was the first trip I've done in this sort of sustained hot weather. I felt I was melting at times, but I was very impressed with the bike! Of all the bikes I've owned over the years, they all had different 'it's feckin hot!' behaviour, from looser gear feel, clunkier shifts, stretchy clutch, slutty throttle response, etc., but the VTX was rock-solid. The heat didn't bother it one bit, which was a terrific surprise.

I had a Harley some years back and had that out in the heat at times - between stinking like burning oil and glowing red, it might have exploded under these weather conditions. I have no real point to make, just singing Honda's praises for a terrific V-twin and good engine design.

Take care and safe riding to all.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
its a ...

Honda
water cooled engine
driveshaft
designed for all weather.

this coming year Honda has been making water cooled engines for 45 years.. (1975 Goldwing )
and driveshaft systems.
yes I purchased a New 1975 Goldwing...

my VTX is my 8th Honda... 6 were water cooled.

·
Mosin Prime
653 Posts
From time to time I'll be in hot weather like that here out east. Nasty humidity close to those temps. Sitting in traffic always sucks on a hot bike like that. But never any issues. The fan will come on too, but always keeps going. I can tell a difference in the cold though, it just likes to be warm. Mine is a 2005 Retro 1300 and still goes and goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair point MosinZealot - the X doesn't like the cold! Over here a very 'cold' day is around 5C (about 41F according to Google) and the big V is like a recalcitrant teenager having to undertake gainful employment, i.e. not keen at all! Once it warms up a bit though, it's smooth sailing as always, but the carb warmer circuit needs to get to work before it wants to play. That being said, I'd rather nurse a cold carburetted bike a little at start than worrying about any bike exploding from the heat! Walking home in the cold (Australian cold, that is, not that crazy sh1t you have in the northern US) is better than doing it in 40C heat.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
Fair point MosinZealot - the X doesn't like the cold! Over here a very 'cold' day is around 5C (about 41F according to Google) and the big V is like a recalcitrant teenager having to undertake gainful employment, i.e. not keen at all! Once it warms up a bit though, it's smooth sailing as always, but the carb warmer circuit needs to get to work before it wants to play. That being said, I'd rather nurse a cold carburetted bike a little at start than worrying about any bike exploding from the heat! Walking home in the cold (Australian cold, that is, not that crazy sh1t you have in the northern US) is better than doing it in 40C heat.
Replace the stock #55 idle jet with a #58 idle jet and the difference is like night and day!!!! Starts without the enricher (choke) or even having to touch the throttle (in fact you don't want to touch the throttle or it makes it a little harder to start) let it warm up at idle while putting your gloves on and then crack the throttle slowly a time or two to clear the plugs and ride off!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace the stock #55 idle jet with a #58 idle jet and the difference is like night and day!!!! Starts without the enricher (choke) or even having to touch the throttle (in fact you don't want to touch the throttle or it makes it a little harder to start) let it warm up at idle while putting your gloves on and then crack the throttle slowly a time or two to clear the plugs and ride off!!!!
Although I have stripped and cleaned the carb before, I'm not sure what needles the bike has. I've done the PAIR valve mod and some other tweaks since I got it earlier this year and it's running well. I've tried to source the jet kits here in Aus, but couldn't locate them easily (or just don't know where to look). I see they're semi-freely available in the US, but the shipping costs I've seen are about the same as the damn jet kits! I have a K&N filter in a stock (but almost decapped) airbox with Vance & Hines Longshots and after my last tune, the enricher is never used anymore. When cold, I do have to feather the throttle a bit, but after that, it runs just fine. If I could find the #55 idle jet (or entire jet kit), I would be keen to tweak the carb some more. No SCAR mod, but I'm open to try that as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
Although I have stripped and cleaned the carb before, I'm not sure what needles the bike has. I've done the PAIR valve mod and some other tweaks since I got it earlier this year and it's running well. I've tried to source the jet kits here in Aus, but couldn't locate them easily (or just don't know where to look). I see they're semi-freely available in the US, but the shipping costs I've seen are about the same as the damn jet kits! I have a K&N filter in a stock (but almost decapped) airbox with Vance & Hines Longshots and after my last tune, the enricher is never used anymore. When cold, I do have to feather the throttle a bit, but after that, it runs just fine. If I could find the #55 idle jet (or entire jet kit), I would be keen to tweak the carb some more. No SCAR mod, but I'm open to try that as well.
The #55 Idle jet is the stock jet that came in the carb from the factory. If your air box is partially decapped and you can start the bike without using the enricher then I would guess that you are already running a #58 idle jet (if not you should be)! The jet sizes are marked somewhere on each jet. Factory set up is the #55 Idle jet and the #195 high speed jet. With a partially decapped air box I would expect that you should be running the #58 idle and the #200 to 210 high speed jet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts