Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not from Colorado, but been looking for some places to ride this summer, and am intrigued by Hwy 160 - Starts in the Ozarks, crosses the plains in Kansas, then over the Rockies and through Four Corners and ends in the desert. Seems like it has a little bit of everything America has to offer. Thinking about picking it up in Kansas and traveling to Four Corners. Has anyone ridden this route in Colorado? What do you think - worth the trip? Better suggestions? I am completely open-minded at this point.

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Not from Colorado, but been looking for some places to ride this summer, and am intrigued by Hwy 160 - Starts in the Ozarks, crosses the plains in Kansas, then over the Rockies and through Four Corners and ends in the desert. Seems like it has a little bit of everything America has to offer. Thinking about picking it up in Kansas and traveling to Four Corners. Has anyone ridden this route in Colorado? What do you think - worth the trip? Better suggestions? I am completely open-minded at this point.
160 is at the far South end of the state and we are in Northern Colorado. :(

To be honest, there is a TON of amazing riding in this state. We've lived here a little over a year and haven't even seen a small fraction of what's out here.

Just to give you a taste of what you might be in for here in Colorado...

Riding in Rocky Mountain National Park
http://favoriteroads.com/index.php/topic,64.0.html

:mosh::mosh::choppersm

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used to live up in Durango area off e. hwy 160. It's pretty much God's country. There is some awesome senery to take in and fantastic "twisties". There is a rally in Ignacio now called Ignacio Bike Week, which is a full week long. A lot of people take a loop known as the "Skyway". This starts in Ignacio or Durango, heads up to Silverton, over to Ouray and Telluride, down to Mancos and back to Durango. Take lots of film or some big memory chips. You won't be disappointed. PS: Ignacio bike week started as "the Iron Horse Run", but infringed on another, so they changed the name.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
160 is at the far South end of the state and we are in Northern Colorado. :(

To be honest, there is a TON of amazing riding in this state. We've lived here a little over a year and haven't even seen a small fraction of what's out here.

Just to give you a taste of what you might be in for here in Colorado...

Riding in Rocky Mountain National Park
http://favoriteroads.com/index.php/topic,64.0.html

:mosh::mosh::choppersm
Yeah - I've always wanted to see Colorado and I can't think of a better way to do it than on a bike. Where did you move there from?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to live up in Durango area off e. hwy 160. It's pretty much God's country. There is some awesome senery to take in and fantastic "twisties". There is a rally in Ignacio now called Ignacio Bike Week, which is a full week long. A lot of people take a loop known as the "Skyway". This starts in Ignacio or Durango, heads up to Silverton, over to Ouray and Telluride, down to Mancos and back to Durango. Take lots of film or some big memory chips. You won't be disappointed. PS: Ignacio bike week started as "the Iron Horse Run", but infringed on another, so they changed the name.

Just checked out the website and that looks very interesting! May have to start making plans for Labor Day weekend. Also the Rally starts on my birthday, August 31st - what better excuse? A good friend of mine who rides a Valkyrie has been wanting me to go to Sturgis in August, but this looks like it might be a better time. I've never been, but what I've seen of Sturgis just doesn't seem like my idea of a great time - Not really into drinking and fighting anymore...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Let us know if you're gonna hit the rally. Seems to be more and more VTX riders around these parts. I think this forum ties us together. I'm in Albuquerque, and Ignacio is a hop, skip and a jump from here. I'd love to hit the rally and meet some brother X and other riders. Let me know if you need any help planning your trip, I'd be happy to assist!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts