Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had kinda of a day off from work today. We are installing a new online dictation system for some of the doctors and it requires iPhones and a service provider. So my job today was to acquire said phones.

So this was an opportunity for a 150+ mile jaunt on the bike and to get some errands done I had needed to do for a while.

Great day except for one thing. Weather man sorta missed it. Was supposed to be 93° - 94° for a high around 3:30 pm. Well when I left the big city for home at 12:40 it was 107°... Seriously it felt more like 300° ... On the 80 mile leg home the thermometer on the bars registered 120°, thats all it will register and it was pegged out.

I love hot weather but this was just a little too much ... sitting here now with cold water and a fan on high blowing directly on me.

Not going outside again until it is below 100°. First time I have ever been on the bike I just wanted the ride to be over.... I am baked to well done ...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I feel for ya bro...........93 here.....too hot here in southern indiana also...

but NOT as hot as you guys........just don't know bout this weather the united states has been having lately......

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
That does sound a little like a recipe. 120 degees at 80 mph or until golden brown.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Been there, done it too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( I care some high dose sunscreen to this day because of one of them hotter then blue blazes Tenn. days last year !

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam​

Just did a little research ... It was posted on our local weather area the "HEAT INDEX" was 203° on the ride home.

Don't really know what that means other than it is some measurement using the temp and relative humidity in a formula and it is really HOT outside...

Been home a little over an hour and the temp is all the way down to 105° at 5:40 CST.

:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam:icon_flam​

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
GOOD GAWD BRO..........you take it easy down there .......keep check on the elders & pets also...drink plenty liquids.......I can't imagine being in that kind of heat........

this heat just SUCKS...........

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Yea I can believe that, I went for a ride to town and was amazed to see it got to 95*. It wasn't supposed to get to 77, 90's are rare up here. I see the flooding and the fires and the heat wave, man mother nature is on the nut. Becare in that heat it can get nasty in a hurry.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
57 degrees here today. Suppose to be a scorching 63 tomorrow. I don't understand the weather this year at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You know what they say, everything is hotter in Texas. I just ride from shade tree to shade tree on days like today.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
here it was in the mid 90's, humidity around 88...its time for me to start night riding. It's not what i call enjoyable to bake like a lizard in the scorching hot sun. Nope, not much fun. :nope: Bry

Don't know how u did it, RJT, but im sure glad you made it ok.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Don't know how u did it, RJT, but im sure glad you made it ok.
I did it in true "wuss" fashion. Just before I left I was at Academy, just sat at the entrance for a few minutes and cooled down and "Mentally Prepared" ( convinced myself I had to go home even though I just wanted to stay in Academy ).

Left Academy and went about 5 miles, stopped to gas up and for me to take on water. Left the city and traveled about 30 miles and stopped at really nice roadside rest stop. Air conditioned sitting rooms, restrooms and cold water fountains. Made about a 10 minute stop there.

On the road again and a stop in a town about 25 miles later at OReillys for oil to change out in the 750. Water break there and about 10 minutes in the cool.

Then the absolute worst part of the trip. Headed the bike west in 107° heat and the wind was behind me so this cut down on cooling ( cooling that's a joke ) and into the sun. I have never been quite that hot. Never had that kind of heat blasts coming up off the engine. 22 miles of this. Got to Olton, home town, turned north and got a little relief for the next 4 miles home.

Off that dam_ hell machine as fast as I could get off and in the house. 3 large glasses of water - into the den - turned the floor fan and ceiling fans on high and plopped my baked butt down.

It was still 101° at 6:45. Down to 93° by 8:00.

Same crap ... even hotter ... forcast for tomorrow. The burban is going to work ... the bike stays in the barn. Mother Nature wins .... I am a wuss.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Just look at the weather, the temp is 46 feels like 40. Tomorrow the high is going to be 59 and the low 40. Fri the high of 59 and low of 47. Today it got hot and sunny then it poured fopr a while the we had hail about the size of ping pong ball and back to sunny agin. It went from 90 to 60 in about an hour after 8pm. I can't figure what to wear all day anymore.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
The polar area ice is melting. Winters will be cooler, summers will be warmer... sucks.

203 index? That's just insane...

Mort

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
203 heat index ... Wow... Me and Mrs Spoiler went for a ride last summer and even riding 65mph, the wind was so extremely hot blowing past us, it was unreal.. and I'm pretty sure that it was no where near a 203..

You could have made grilled cheese sandwichs in your pocket on the way home....
(hey, that's actually not a bad idea, I think I may have something here...)

Spoiler

:patriot:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes sir down here in Southeast Texas 105 and 70% humidity was like --- 70 on the interstate with the heater blowing in your face--- really not a pleasant ride!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts