Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Yesterday I almost ran out of gas.. I had to out it on reserve to make it to the station to refuel.. Okay so i filled it up with Mid-Grade gas.. Well i go home and about an hour later my wife and i go for a ride about 5 miles to get something to eat. Well we come out from eating and the bike won't start. Acting like it's flooding itself out.. I just went through the entire carb and cleaned it about 150 miles ago (last weekend).. Well i figure it got junk in the bowl from where i ran it out.
Today it still wouldn't start. I haven't cleaned the carb yet. But just seeing if she would atleast hit.. NOPE!!!! Okay you guys know the box on the right side the is like the knock sensor..?? Ot clicks whenever you hit the start button.. Well now it's not clicking.. I already tried the kick stand.. I have tried with the clutch in, in neutral, kickstand up and down.. Damn....... Someone have another idea about that box/ sensor.. I know it diverts the high power and low power.. Oh yeah.. I have checked the fuses as well!! HELP!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
Please give us more description of "won't start". When you press the start button, does the starter motor turn? Does the engine turn but not "catch"? Does nothing turn?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please give us more description of "won't start". When you press the start button, does the starter motor turn? Does the engine turn but not "catch"? Does nothing turn?
Well it was turning over but not firing.. So i was pulling and pushing on the choke but all i did was flood it.. But now it won't even click.. I hit the start button and it doesn't make a noise at all.. Before it would click.. Now NOTHING.... I was checking it out last night and the handle bars were turned all the way to the right and it clicked a couple times then i moved the bars to the left and it instantly stopped clicking from that (knock) sensor.. So i am thinking about taking the ignition/starter button apart off the handlebars.. Maybe something is loose or pinched??

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
There is no "knock sensor" on the bike. The thing that clicks when you try to start the bike is the starter solenoid. Start your trouble shooting by removing the battery from the bike, fully charging it, taking it to any of the chain auto parts stores, and having them do their free 100 amp load test. This is the best way to determine if the battery is good. Even if the battery is new, do this as yours would not be the first new battery to go bad quickly. If the battery checks out good, report back and you will get additional advice.

Reactions: maechyll

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay. Yesterday I almost ran out of gas.. I had to out it on reserve to make it to the station to refuel.. Okay so i filled it up with Mid-Grade gas.. Well i go home and about an hour later my wife and i go for a ride about 5 miles to get something to eat. Well we come out from eating and the bike won't start. Acting like it's flooding itself out.. I just went through the entire carb and cleaned it about 150 miles ago (last weekend).. Well i figure it got junk in the bowl from where i ran it out.
Today it still wouldn't start. I haven't cleaned the carb yet. But just seeing if she would atleast hit.. NOPE!!!! Okay you guys know the box on the right side the is like the knock sensor..?? Ot clicks whenever you hit the start button.. Well now it's not clicking.. I already tried the kick stand.. I have tried with the clutch in, in neutral, kickstand up and down.. Damn....... Someone have another idea about that box/ sensor.. I know it diverts the high power and low power.. Oh yeah.. I have checked the fuses as well!! HELP!!!!
Mine will not turn over at times. I put it in gear and rock it back and forth a few times. Then it turns over and starts. Not sure why but I know its not the kick stand or neutral switch. The PO bought a battery for it but that wasnt it..hahaha

Make sure your run/kill switch is in the right position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the late response.. At first it was turning over. But the battery went dead.. So i put it on charge.. Now the starter sylenoid isn't even clicking.. I tried to jump the sylenoid and it just clicks really loud at the starter.. But it will not turn over.. So i went to check the oil and as soon as i unscrewed the oil cap gas poured out of the crankcase!!!! I had this problem before and i was told it was the float was stuck or the petcock was bad or it was over full on oil.. Damn.. So i changed the oil and took the carb off and took completely apart and cleaned it really good.. Put it back together and road it for 150 miles now same thing!!!!!!! I know this SUCKS!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds awful. Had the same problem with a '72 CB450. Had to turn the petcock off every time. Did you check the petcock diaphragm too?

If you're dumping that much fuel past the pistons and into the crank, it may not turn over because of all the fuel in the combustion chamber.

On the plus side, your crankcase will be really clean once it's fixed. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds awful. Had the same problem with a '72 CB450. Had to turn the petcock off every time. Did you check the petcock diaphragm too?

If you're dumping that much fuel past the pistons and into the crank, it may not turn over because of all the fuel in the combustion chamber.

On the plus side, your crankcase will be really clean once it's fixed. :)
So in order to get the fuel out of the combustion chamber i could just remove the sparkplugs right??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no "knock sensor" on the bike. The thing that clicks when you try to start the bike is the starter solenoid. Start your trouble shooting by removing the battery from the bike, fully charging it, taking it to any of the chain auto parts stores, and having them do their free 100 amp load test. This is the best way to determine if the battery is good. Even if the battery is new, do this as yours would not be the first new battery to go bad quickly. If the battery checks out good, report back and you will get additional advice.
Okay.. I did what you said and they said the battery is good!! So now what?? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay.. I did what you said and they said the battery is good!! So now what?? Thanks for the help!!
I really want to get my bike running and ride it for the next month!! I will ride it until the snow starts flying.. So maybe a little longer.. You NEVER know about the weather here in Ohio!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
Mchild, you have multiple problems. One is the lack of start. The other is the fuel in the oil. You have verified that the battery is good which is a good start. Your next step is to drain the unfortunate mixture of oil/fuel from the crankcase, and refill with fresh oil. Whenever you are not trying to start or run the bike, you must turn the petcock to the off position. This will keep the fuel from running into the oil. This is a temporary fix while we diagnose and fix the lack of start problem. If we can fix the lack of start problem, we will then address the fuel in the oil problem.

Next, you have to determine why the starter motor will not turn over. Make sure the battery is installed properly (red wire to the positive side), there is no significant corrosion on the wires or posts, and tighten the battery post nuts with a socket or wrench not a screwdriver. Put the bike in neutral, double check that it is in neutral, remove anything or any person of value in front of the bike, and triple check that the bike is in neutral. Turn the key on and turn the kill switch on. Does the headlight come on? Next, press the start button. Does the headlight go out and does the engine turn over? If not, find the starter solenoid and using a wrench or large screwdriver jumper across the two main posts. Does this cause the starter motor and engine to turn over?

Report back on all of the above and we can continue from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts