Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need help from some VTX veterans. My ‘05 VTX 1800F3 will not start up. A few things here
-Headlight On when key is on (will cut off at ignition like normal)

-Bike will bump start and run smoothly

-I’ve cleaned and elc. Greased the starter switch

-On starter button press battery voltage will drop a bit to about 11 bike is usually at 12-13

-I’ve replaced the battery, Starter, Starter Solenoid, Both 30V Fuses, all 5 10V Fuses and both 20V fuses.

Just before I replaced my starter my solenoid should stay engaged pretty often and I’d have to tap it to disengage contact and the starter would stop turning over, while riding and at idle. This happened many times and when the bike wouldn’t start any longer I replaced all I mentioned above, still no start, no crank nothing.

I’d very much appreciate any wisdom or knowledge as to what I’m dealing with here, thank you all!

God bless!

· Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
111 Posts
If shorting the solenoid posts will not spin the starter, you either have a bad starter, or bad connection between the starter and solenoid, or solenoid and battery. Does shorting the solenoid result in substantial sparks?

· Registered
VTX1800 C
10 Posts
Did you install an after-market starter motor?

If so, or not, remove the starter motor from the bike and test it on the bench and see what happens. I'm afraid you bought a junk starter.

· Registered
2005 VTX 1800F2 w/240 Phat Tire
345 Posts
also might want to check the bank angle sensor, this is attached to the front of the battery box.

during my rebuild I had mine out and when I reinstalled it, I put it in upside down and the bike would not start, the key here is the fuel pump will not even prime, if you turn on the bike and don't get the fuel pump prime buzz, chances are the bank angle sensor or the relay going to it are the issue.

it is very easy to install wrong as it bolts up correctly when inverted, there is a small engraved "TOP" on it showing the proper direction, in my case it was late at night after wrenching on the bike for over 12 hours and I never noticed it, and it took me a week to trace the no start issue back to this.

· Registered
10 Posts
Guys I need help from some VTX veterans. My ‘05 VTX 1800F3 will not start up. A few things here
-Headlight On when key is on (will cut off at ignition like normal)

-Bike will bump start and run smoothly

-I’ve cleaned and elc. Greased the starter switch

-On starter button press battery voltage will drop a bit to about 11 bike is usually at 12-13

-I’ve replaced the battery, Starter, Starter Solenoid, Both 30V Fuses, all 5 10V Fuses and both 20V fuses.

Just before I replaced my starter my solenoid should stay engaged pretty often and I’d have to tap it to disengage contact and the starter would stop turning over, while riding and at idle. This happened many times and when the bike wouldn’t start any longer I replaced all I mentioned above, still no start, no crank nothing.

I’d very much appreciate any wisdom or knowledge as to what I’m dealing with here, thank you all!

God bless!
This may sound silly, But have you checked the start button and the kill switch. If the kill switch is bad, you will get the symptoms you describe. They're exposed to the weather and get a lot of water through them. You can disconnect and bypass them and try starting with a jumper. It seems like an obvious choice, seein as to how you changed everything else. out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts