Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I can understand that. Here in Florida we have so many specialty plates it's ridiculous. You can't even tell what state the plate is from by the color scheme.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
We have the same law here in Texas. All license plate frames aren't banned. Only those that block or partially block the plate's expiration date, numbers or state name.

It's not the frame that is the problem, but the covering of the data on the plate.

Living in the hometown of the University of Texas Longhorns, you see the longhorn logo everywhere. A lot of people would put them on the license plates where they didn't block anything but still received citations. BUT!!!..... You can pay extra (a
lot extra) and have a huge longhorn on your vanity plate. Hmmmm?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
It makes sense. I've always wondered about the trucks with trailer hitch balls blocking the plate or cars with bike racks obscuring the plate when no bikes are on or even the scooter rack for the handicapped.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Here in Illinois there are laws covering certain situations, 1-no hitch in reciever without trailer attached;period, 2-no decals, stickers, emblems of any kind on the tag;must be as issued,3-no plate covers what so ever, not even clear. But, no laws against frames as long as it doesn't obstruct any #'s, or state I.D., or exp date on tag.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I can understand that. Here in Florida we have so many specialty plates it's ridiculous. You can't even tell what state the plate is from by the color scheme.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/
All those plates and they forgot the DAV plate, I know we have because it's a free lifetime plate for the 100% Disabled Vets. I have one on the Durango.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"if the plate's expiration date, numbers or state name is blocked"
i read that as you can have a plate frame as long as those items listed are visible...that's the way i read it anyway, but i'm not tagged in nc
Yes, that is the way I read it as well, and I completely agree with the rule.......HOWEVER, I know my frame and pretty much anyone I have ever seen bike or auto covers parts of the year and month sticker and some of the state. I guess my concern is how little coverage will warrant a fine.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Yes, that is the way I read it as well, and I completely agree with the rule.......HOWEVER, I know my frame and pretty much anyone I have ever seen bike or auto covers parts of the year and month sticker and some of the state. I guess my concern is how little coverage will warrant a fine.
i gotcha now keith :cheers:......i agree as well, but i guess my question is, will it be like window tint.....where they can only enforce those tagged in NC...now, i gotta look at my tag plate incase SC gets some ideas...:banghead:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Not sure about all Military Bases, but we almost got a ticket from the MP's while on the Marine Base in San Diego.....we were "allowed" to remove the frame that was blocking the info to avoid the ticket....

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm still unclear on what is new about this law. It was already illegal to obscure the plate, and any type of cover, whether tinted or clear, was already illegal. I don't think it's actually new, I believe they just clarified some of the wording, and added plate frames specifically.

And to answer another question from above, laws like the plate law, window tint, vehicle registration laws, etc, can only be enforced on the vehicles registered in that state.

I know Myrtle Beach SC started ticketing bikers for sideways license plates, but someone needs to challenge that in court. They can't do that to bikes not registered in SC.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Not all frames would put you in violation. My Bucs tag didn't obscure anything.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Makes sense to me. Wishing all a nice day.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
All those plates and they forgot the DAV plate, I know we have because it's a free lifetime plate for the 100% Disabled Vets. I have one on the Durango.
Alabama has a car/truck DAV tag but motorcycles do not but they have a wheel chair tag for motorcycles.
Figure that 1 out.

Back to the OP post

I understand and think it should be that way. Biggest thing I see is people brought this on themselves.

dd

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not all frames would put you in violation. My Bucs tag didn't obscure anything.

SC's stickers go in the bottom left and right hand corner, so yours would not fly for us SC guys. State name is on the bottom of the plate as well. Hey, it's the damn tags fault! LOL

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Alabama has a car/truck DAV tag but motorcycles do not but they have a wheel chair tag for motorcycles.
Figure that 1 out.
Wanderingbears has a wheelchair tag on his bike, I'm sure he will chime in. :D

SC's stickers go in the bottom left and right hand corner, so yours would not fly for us SC guys. State name is on the bottom of the plate as well. Hey, it's the damn tags fault! LOL
The frame is actually bigger than the plate. The plate is pretty much all visible except the very edge and under the bolts.
Of coarse that frame is scrap metal now thanks to some little B!&@# on her cellphone!

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
I have a friend with handicap plates on his bike. due to he has knee issues and needs to walk with a cane. it's not always for wheelchairs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts