Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 27, 2010

Associated Press

AUGUSTA, Ga. - A U.S. Marine reservist collecting toys for children was stabbed when he helped stop a suspected shoplifter in eastern Georgia.

Best Buy sales manager Orvin Smith told The Augusta Chronicle that man was seen on surveillance cameras Friday putting a laptop under his jacket at the Augusta store.

When confronted, the man became irate, knocked down an employee, pulled a knife and
ran toward the door.

Outside were four Marines collecting toys for the service branch's "Toys For Tots" program.

Smith said the Marines stopped the man, but he stabbed one of them, Cpl. Phillip Duggan, in the back. The cut did

not appear to be severe.

The suspect, whose name was not released, was held until police arrived. The Richmond County Sheriff's office said it is investigating.

The suspect was transported to the local hospital with
two broken arms, a broken leg, possible broken ribs,

multiple contusions and assorted lacerations including a broken nose and jaw.... Injuries he sustained when he

fell trying to run after stabbing the Marine.

Rick Smythe

Chaplain Marine Corps League

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
LMAO...sucker got what he deserved.....just wish my son could have been there to help "detain" this thief...

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Great story, but my question is, did he not notice the 4 Marines as he was entering the store? What a [email protected]$$!
This made me think about something that was occurring over the last 3 weekends as I was working with our local Marine Corps League to collect toys for the "Toys for Tots"...

We were located inside a K-Mart store and several times the "alarm" would sound as a shopper would be leaving the store...Odd thing was, some folks would stop and come back in...others would keep going and no store employee would follow them....seems the alarm was defective and not every shopper's cart was checked....I know I live in a small town, but makes you wonder how many of these folks were actually "shoplifting"....

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Yeah that happened a while back...seen it on the news here when it happened.....but I also seen him and I didn't see any of the injuries...must have all happened after the fact....

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Sounds like the thief wasn't the only one who became irate. Way to go marines. Pulling a knife on a group of marines is not the smartest move of his life and I'm sure he'll recall it fondly. He might even qualify for a Darwin award.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Seems like the thief found out what a Code RED is! Hooraaah! :patriot:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good to see it happen. It is what should happen every time, but I have to wonder... How much will he collect in the law suits for detaining him>
See it far too often.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Stabbing a Marine comes with an automatic trip and fall clause. He's lucky it was Christmas!!!!
Probably why they let him live...

Glad the Marines were there to help. That shoplifter could have killed hisself!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts