Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchases a 2007 vtx 1300c ~ roughly 3000 miles (he never rode it) - its been upgraded with Vance & Hines pipes, how do i adjust the idle speed. I put it in the shop for a tune up after some backfiring issues - and it wont stay running now without the choke being pulled out. I figure that it cant be that difficult to adjust. Just need to know where and what to do. Do i need to put a bigger air filter on there? Someone was telling me that I should probably put one on called the "thunder" has anyone else done this and will it help?

Another couple of questions as well - what is the average gas mileage that the 1300's get around town/on the road? I just don't want to run it out of gas, I haven't noticed a dummy light for getting close to empty, is there one? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
miles per gallon varies by rider some get 35 and some get 45 just make sure the fuel valve is turned down and you should hit 135-155 then it will sputter then flip the valve all the way up and you have close to a gallon left before you are dry.

Idle adjust is by the air box and not the tube on the bottom just turn it up a little.

90% odds a crap jet kit was installed with the pipes and it wasn't needed and it isn't set correct, jet kit needed only after air box mod or change.
Plugs foul fast when you use the choke so 30 seconds is all you should use it if used more you need to maybe pull and clean/replace the them.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
keep your questions coming until its all sorted out - sometimes people are out riding and away from the computer - here's a shout out from Calgary Alberta - may you ride with the wind at your back, the sun overhead and the road endlessly winding.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Spring, TeXas. :cheers:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Howdy from deepest, darkest Arkansas!

Rebel

·
2,807 Posts
hello from the showme state.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from North Idaho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcomes! I look forward to reading up about the bike and getting advice from everyone. I will be adjusting the idle tomorrow.. will let you know how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts