Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just one of those silly questions that could have a multitude of answers. Those who have read my posts know that I am new to my VTX 1800. But since I have been making maintenance changes to him he has taken on kind of a cocky persona. He is riding way easier and seems to be way happier now that I have done the things to him to make him feel better. But this is more to do with him being cocky. Yes I have tested just how cocky and he has no problem with doing warp speed. But the one thing I am noticing now is when he goes into warm idle he lopes. The first time he did it I thought it was just a fluke and the computer was adjusting the air fuel ratio for idle. But now he does it at idle almost all the time. He is not idling slow and does not stall on take off. Of course he does have the takeoff assist when you start releasing the clutch. But I guess what I would like to know is if all 1800's do this or if this may be something the previous owner had done to him. Either way, it does sound pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
You say two seemingly contradictory things. First, you say that the engine "lopes". Second you say the bike, "is not idling slow". I believe that loping means the idle is too slow. A VTX should idle at about 900 +/- 50 rpm. This is significantly faster than, for example, a Harley. At this idle speed, a lope would be very unusual. I suspect that your idle is simply to low. Unfortunately, I do not know much about VTX1800 bikes. On a 1300, there is a simple idle adjustment knob that you use to adjust the idle speed. I do not know if this knob exists on an 1800. If it does, it is a black ribbed knob hanging below the airbox. If this exists on an 1800, you should turn up the idle speed a smidge and see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say two seemingly contradictory things. First, you say that the engine "lopes". Second you say the bike, "is not idling slow". I believe that loping means the idle is too slow. A VTX should idle at about 900 +/- 50 rpm. This is significantly faster than, for example, a Harley. At this idle speed, a lope would be very unusual. I suspect that your idle is simply to low. Unfortunately, I do not know much about VTX1800 bikes. On a 1300, there is a simple idle adjustment knob that you use to adjust the idle speed. I do not know if this knob exists on an 1800. If it does, it is a black ribbed knob hanging below the airbox. If this exists on an 1800, you should turn up the idle speed a smidge and see what happens.
I guess that would be confusing, no it's not the potato potato lope that is usually indicative of the low idle. I really don't know how to explain it. It is like a well tuned, well built engine lope.

·
Registered
17,541 Posts
I guess that would be confusing, no it's not the potato potato lope that is usually indicative of the low idle. I really don't know how to explain it. It is like a well tuned, well built engine lope.
I call BS on the warp speed, LOL! Everyone on here knows I have the 1-AND-only warp speed VTX. My avatar proves it. Yes there is a black adjustment knob on the 1800, but it's on the LEFT side near the bottom of the V between the jugs.My tach is rock steady, and it presently reads a nice and smooth 1100, + or - .

Reactions: New VTX owner

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I call BS on the warp speed, LOL! Everyone on here knows I have the 1-AND-only warp speed VTX. My avatar proves it. Yes there is a black adjustment knob on the 1800, but it's on the LEFT side near the bottom of the V between the jugs.My tach is rock steady, and it presently reads a nice and smooth 1100, + or - .
I keep mine in cloaking mode so you can't see him at warp speed, LOL. Is this uncommon for the 1800's or do they occasionally need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
17,541 Posts
I keep mine in cloaking mode so you can't see him at warp speed, LOL. Is this uncommon for the 1800's or do they occasionally need to be adjusted?
Hardly ever touch mine.

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
No, they should almost never need adjustment but your VTX1800 is new to you so there is no telling what the previous owner(s) did to it. Try increasing the idle speed using the knob a little and see how that affects the sound/lope. Be careful to note and remember by how much you turned the knob so that you can return it to the same position if needed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, they should almost never need adjustment but your VTX1800 is new to you so there is no telling what the previous owner(s) did to it. Try increasing the idle speed using the knob a little and see how that affects the sound/lope. Be careful to note and remember by how much you turned the knob so that you can return it to the same position if needed.
Awesome I will give it a try. Thank You

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
The knob is, like what was already posted, between the jugs on the left side. Since these are dual pin crankshaft engines, your idle should be steady and smooth. Set the idle to whatever makes you comfortable, but lower than 800 rpm you will be asking for trouble. Your oil pressure will drop into a dangerous level so it's better than have it higher than lower. All engines have the same reason for idling at near 1K rpm and that is oil pressure. Both my Harley-Davidsons idle faster at 1K rpm. I have my X at 900 and that is within 'tolerance' and where she likes to be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The knob is, like what was already posted, between the jugs on the left side. Since these are dual pin crankshaft engines, your idle should be steady and smooth. Set the idle to whatever makes you comfortable, but lower than 800 rpm you will be asking for trouble. Your oil pressure will drop into a dangerous level so it's better than have it higher than lower. All engines have the same reason for idling at near 1K rpm and that is oil pressure. Both my Harley-Davidsons idle faster at 1K rpm. I have my X at 900 and that is within 'tolerance' and where she likes to be.
I didn't get to ride him today because we are in the middle of a rain storm for a few days. But when I get to ride him again I will definitely adjust the idle. I don't want him tore up. Thank you again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts