Votes: 162 19.8%
  • Not in a Million years

Votes: 334 40.8%

• Total voters
1281 - 1293 of 1293 Posts

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,043 Posts
I love how this thread returns every once in awhile. I still say a Harley could never replace my VTX, but I wouldn't mind a Harley accompanying my bike in the garage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quite honestly, if it came with a lifetime repair service? Sure, I'd do it. But when my bike has one filter, and two plugs, and a HD has three filters and three plugs? It's not like a HD has that much more power, or that much more ridability. It's just more maintenance. And since I try to do all my own maintenance, I'll keep with my bikes that don't require a rebuild after 50k miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Harley? Probably not..... although I stopped by the new Indian Dealer in Colorado Springs and I would consider the Indian Chief Vintage..... It's only going for almost 6X what I paid for my VTX.... :LOL:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would love to have a road king classic to park next to my x. I am on my third x and love this one better than the last 2. Couldn’t see getting rid of this one. I have ridden many different Harley’s. Different years, models, and different CI, and honestly have not found one that rides better than my 1300R. I do like the idea of American made, but in my opinion HD is not a better machine. I know the question was asked at the same price, but I definitely wouldn’t for the price. But as it was mentioned before, at the beginning of the thread, the market for HD is way down and you can get a softail and a road king for not much more than an x these days. Still wouldn’t get rid of the one I have.

·
Super Moderator
9,652 Posts
I thought that the Honda VTX bikes were at least as "American made" as Harleys. The VTX bikes were made in Marysville, OH or, at least many model years of the VTX were.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never owned a HD, but have many friends who seem to love them. With them it seems to be more of an image thing. They tend to act a little different with all the leathers on, but come down a notch when they find out I get to ride many miles without having to work on my V after every ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Harley owning friend loves to call my X a "Farley" and ask if I'm going to wear my "Pleathers" :ROFLMAO:

I just remind him that I bought my X and a new CB1100, paid less than half the amount that he did and have two rides that are better than his. :sneaky:

·
Registered
474 Posts
i've had a harley and vtx for about the last 5 years ('07 1800 brought new in '09, '05 springer classic brought used with about 10k mls in '14) been pretty happy with both, but the honda is still my number 1. just brought a 1300s ('05 with 31k mls). put it in the shop right off the bat, but i won't add that to my judgement yet (brought from a widow so it sat about a year. gas went bad).

come spring i should have them all available to me to see if the hierarchy changes.

Quick edit: picked the 1300 up. just a short ride home so far (maybe 8-10 mls dealer to home. 50ish degrees). it won't be my number one just because i guess i've been spoiled by fuel injection (and some aftermarket pipes that have got to go), but it seems to run good. another reason to look forward to spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to build custom frames for HD and RevTech big twin power plants and drive lines and still love the Harleys and would love to have an old boy model however a bone stock 1800V a bone stock HD the VTX will leave it like it was moving in reverse.
Yes i will always love Harleys
But the VTX will always have a spot in the garage right beside the Harley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned a 1978 Lowrider and a 2000 Fat Boy. ATM I own a 1997 Virago XV1100 (great in town bike) and a 2007 VTX 1300r.

I'm short and getting old, the VTX 1300r is the best bike in the bunch so I said NO!

Other than an off Speedo my VTX has had zero of the issues I see in the 1300 forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disclaimer: not issues, part of what I consider making a bike your own

I have put an Ultimate seat, K&N filter and, V&H Bigshots with quiet baffles on it.

1281 - 1293 of 1293 Posts