Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ride, eat, sleep...repeat
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I could use any advice you have. We are new to pulling a camper (Bunkhouse King LX) with our 1800S. Bike already hitched and wired. "Do - Don't do" :1: will help us to be safe. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Don't put yourself in a location where you have to back up, especially uphill :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just like w/ a cage...you take longer to stop, more space to change lanes, wider turns. Check tire pressure when you stop, watch for "sway" and read/practice controlling it. ALWAYS check its lights are working before you start and @ 1st stop (nothing shook loose).
Convert the trailer to LED lights if you haven't already, saves your stator, load is load.

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Convert the trailer to LED lights...
I am unfamiliar with how to covert the lights. Is there a post somewhere on this forum that explains some of the details about how to do this?

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Give yourself more room to stop, at least double what you would normally allow. Try to downshift to stop along with braking when coming to a stop. The first 50 miles feels strange but after a bit you get used to it. Be sure to go easy on the hand brake and try to stay on the gas a little going down long grades so the trailer isn't pushing you and if you start getting a shimmy in the handlebars don't brake instead give it throttle.

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
I am unfamiliar with how to covert the lights. Is there a post somewhere on this forum that explains some of the details about how to do this?
Simply find the bulb style from the drop down list and order replacement.. Your equipment may have an 1157 style bulb or something like it.. The related categories at the bottom left lists trailer lighting.. They should also have the replacement side marker LEDs as well..

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/----/---/

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
when one trailer wheel hits a chuck-hole or other thing.. the bars may shake.... do not force them to stop... allow some movement.. to allow the side movement to work down.

use transmission to help slow down the RIG... saves brakes and HEAT, for emergency stop (if needed)

I had a pop-up behind a 1200 Goldwing. trailer was 600 pounds plus.. but had electric brakes on trailer ( I installed)... and trailer was longer then Goldwing.. (Combi-Camp trailer)
pulled it for 12 years

·
Registered
145 Posts
You've gotten lots of good advice.
One more thing, keep it light.

Your trailer is about 340# dry weight + a passenger.
That isn't too bad.
You add a cooler, bedding, stove, ..... and soon you have heavy load.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Watch the tongue wait also, I know by feel now if the tongue weight is too much but I have used a bathroom scale to keep it under 50lbs for my Goldwing and run your shocks up a click. And the best advice I could give is stay relaxed!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I recently returned from a 2+ month trip from Fl. to out west (including Sturgis) pulling a trailer and camping gear. I had a small cooler on the tongue to keep the weight down, had the heaviest things over the axle in the trailer and tried to spread things out evenly from there.

The first couple of days I kept the speed down until I got used to pulling the trailer, stopping and starting. By the end of the trip I was very comfortable pulling the trailer. One thing you will notice is the gas mileage will not be the same. Riding through a few areas with very high winds dropped my mileage down to just above 30 mpg, where I was averaging around 34 to 36 with the trailer and near 40 without.

You will know the trailer is there, sometimes more than others. It will take you a little longer to stop, so be aware (even more than normally) of vehicles pulling out and stopping in front of you.

Have fun and don't get in a hurry!

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I pulled my trailer I also carried a gallon of gas in left saddle bag to keep it away from the exhaust. Like they said gas mileage is bad. Mine does not have a gas gage. The extra gas was for just in case made me feel better and to help start fires while camping. Good luck and like they say take your time and you will get used to it.

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the advice about pulling the camper. We took the trip and came home safely. Tips were valuable. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts