Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Thanks to Kermit for posting the idea & pics for the LED tag light... :cheers:

I took the idea and ran with it :D I'm not sure if I did it the same way, but found it a very simple mod to make a very big difference.

1st - I just trimmed the factory bracket to fit behind the plate. 2nd - Then enlarged the holes some to match the stock bracket where the tag light used to mount. 3rd - Bolted it on and hooked up the wires.

This is the frame I used: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=110&manufacturer_ID=141&product_ID=19107&sblid_name=Radiantz_Chrome_Cast_LED_License_Plate_Frame&model_id=0

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey Doug...

Great pics now we can all do the "Kermit mod"...

Thanks for the effort!

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Yes thanks to Beefy I will be doing this soon...I just ordered mine last night...lol...He told me my Bezels looked good but the stock plate bracket had to go...lol...Thanks Doug for the pics!!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No thanks needed...

The timing worked out perfect, our power went out on Thurs morning and the mount came in the afternoon. So being I had to be here to man the generator till Fri night to save our freezer we just filled. I had some time to kill and figured I'd snap some pics while I was at it,lol

Side note: forgot to mention, it's not pictured but you'll also need to make a small notch on the top right side of the bracket to make room for where the wire comes out of the back for the LED's

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well yeah that worked out perfect for you!....I am hoping this is 1 wire..and very simple to connect...lol...Wiring is NOT my thing!! :D

Its 2 wires, pos & neg but not to bad to hook up. The bike wires will seem short but if you look how there routed you can pull them out some to get more slack. Then once there all hooked up just use some zip ties to hold them in place. On a 1 to 10, its about a 3 (4 if your nervous,lol)

On the bike the pos. wire is brown and on the light its the white wire. I also used some heat shrink to seal them up nice being there in the line of fire from the tire.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Doug,

Did you have drill 2 new holes to mount the license plate bracket where the light used to be? Or are they existing?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doug,

Did you have drill 2 new holes to mount the license plate bracket where the light used to be? Or are they existing?
I used the existing holes where the stock tag light mounted, just had to make them a bigger size to make them match the bolt pattern on the plate mount. I also used lock nuts on everything to make sure they stay put.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice clean mod... I Like it!

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I did the same thing for the R/S. I just cut everything off that was outside the plate. Nice job.

·
Ol'man with a bike
701 Posts
Check this out

Since my brackets and such were butchered when I bought my bike, I made my own mod so to speak. See what you think about the look.

The Bracket I made actually attaches to the 2 screws that hold the taillight lens on, and I also drilled thru the bottom of the fender UNDER the light and put a 1/4" bolt through it to secure it to the frame. So its 3 bolts holding the bracket on, and I wired it into the taillight by pushing the wire into the light where the other wiring penetrated. You can see the small turn signals on each side. I installed the Clear Alternatives LED integrated tail.stop/turn signals.

The side view. The LED bar across the top is actually tucked in pretty well under the fender lip. I should have taken a night time picture. I think its cool.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
I think you guys are cool, I can never think of ideas I always need printed directions to follow.
me too Bear, thank God for the creative folks on here.Don't know what I would do without them.

Keep it coming folks...

·
Ol'man with a bike
701 Posts
HenryD,
That looks good... :cheers:
So... whats next? Always open for easy/cheap mods that work :D
Thanks Doug!

I did the Wal-mart $6 exhaust pipe extension= Drive shaft cover. I think it rocks. It snaps on very secure and doesn't rattle at all. I was worried it would but its like it was made to fit. This link will show you what it looks like and how to do it. http://cfisher.net/vtx/shaft.html Good stuff! :cheers:

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
I'm looking for a way to get rid of the front turn signals to somewhere that let's me use my lowers again. I never got an answer as to wether the nudie bar will work with my with my lightbar.
Bear, have you thought about a headlight extension? That would put the headlight, lightbar and everything out furthar to allow for the lowers? I think. Although it will look a bit different too.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts