Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got me a 07 VTX and the thing wont start. Only way I can get it started is spraying starter fluid in the carb. Batter is a week old, gas is fine is too. Spark Plugs? Is there a trick to getting them out?
thanks for the input......

·
Registered
97 Posts
Shut off the kill switch, turn on the key then the kill switch and the FI light should come on and you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds and the shut off. If you dont hear the fuel pump running check out the fuses under both side covers and check for blown fuses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the tool kit is there but the guy I got it from lost the manual.. so I am going at it blind. But thanks for the info.. Might see if I cant buy a new one or download the manual.
Thanks

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
always need to review the basics......is the kickstand up? there is a switch on these bikes that wont allow it to start with the kickstand down...it will turn off the bike too....is the starter in the correct position? I have a 1300 with a petcock.....dont know if there is one on the 1800...if so, is it in the right position? down for normal use, up for reserve, forward for off.......also check the lines....are they all connected? sometimes a vacuum line comes off and prevents the flow of fuel........you should not have to use starter fluid everytime......

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
always need to review the basics......is the kickstand up? there is a switch on these bikes that wont allow it to start with the kickstand down...it will turn off the bike too....is the starter in the correct position? I have a 1300 with a petcock.....dont know if there is one on the 1800...if so, is it in the right position? down for normal use, up for reserve, forward for off.......also check the lines....are they all connected? sometimes a vacuum line comes off and prevents the flow of fuel........you should not have to use starter fluid everytime......
No petcock on the 1800 epi. I'm wondering where he's spraying the starting fluid? No carb either.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Something just doesn't sound right. :hmm2:

Newb,
look at the VIN label located on the frame on the left hand side of the bike just under the tank, close to the top in the area of the engine head.
Read the smaller type just ahead of the year model "2007" does it read VTX1800C, or VTX1300C ?

If you can post a photo of the whole bike from the exhaust side.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Yes but he is spraying starting fluid into a carb?
No petcock on the 1800 epi. I'm wondering where he's spraying the starting fluid? No carb either.
If you pull the air box cover you can spray straight into the throttle body just like you would on a carb.

So I got me a 07 VTX and the thing wont start. Only way I can get it started is spraying starter fluid in the carb. Batter is a week old, gas is fine is too. Spark Plugs? Is there a trick to getting them out?
thanks for the input......
I have a 1300 so I don't know all the tips & tricks to look for but, I'd start with checking fuses then the fuel pump or pressure regulator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts