Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,193 Posts
Lift the bike just enough to get the weight off of the shocks and make sure the bike is secure. Try a cheater bar (two foot piece of pipe) on the Allen wrench. Push down and in on the wrench, slow steady pressure and make sure you are loosening and not tightening . More distance equals more torque. Best of luck...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ahh, that makes complete sense. You had no transportation to an auto parts store. Glad you got it running. When you put the plugs in, make sure that you thread the plugs into their holes by hand. Given the depth of the "pockets" into which the plug threads are set, you will likely have to put a sparkplug socket on a long socket extension. That is fine but do NOT initially turn the socket extension with the socket wrench. Grasp the extension by hand and turn it by hand as far as you can. This should be a lot or turning by hand and then just cinch up the last bit using the socket. This method will assure that you do not cross thread the sparkplugs in their threaded holes since you could not turn them by hand if they were cross-threaded. Before insertion, put a little anti-seize on the threads of the sparkplugs. Before putting on the sparkplug electrical connections, inspect these and the rubber boots. Remove any corrosion and make sure there are no tears in the rubber boots. Put a small dab of dielectric grease on the electrical connector before attaching it (inside the boot) to the end of the sparkplug.
This has turned into a great tech show. I am going to wait on the shocks until I can get the stand built. I need to put a set of heavy duty wheels on it, some days the push me pull you routine can be a bit much if I need to move stuff around. Have an appt tomorrow so will pick up plugs and start from there.
Thanks again everyone for the help.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
If you are going to put wheels on the homemade wood stand, you will need to change dimensions on the stand so that the bike jack will lift the bike high enough to allow the stand (with wheels) to fit under the bike.

Reactions: Linda Hammond
21 - 23 of 23 Posts