Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda VTX 1300C. Ok, so I've been doing some research on installing ape hangers for a few weeks now and think I have everything solved but I need someones opinion of the following statement: 1.25" Risers - As long as I get risers that have the 12mm bolt, they will fit any bar with a 1.25" width. 1.25" Ape Hangers - As long as I get 1.25" width ape hangers, they will fit inside the 1.25" width risers. So the factory 1" for Hondas doesnt really mean anything anymore, as long as they fit in the risers. Throttle cables/Clutch cable - I've found a website barnettclutches.com that makes it seem really easy. You just look up the stock cable part #, which is on their site, then add the extra length in inches you need and they will custom make all the cables. Measuring for proper length - Im assuming the best way to do this is basically "install" the risers and apes, then measure from where the original cable started up to where they new cables would end at the handlebars and add that length. Thanks for listening and let me know if Im going about this the correct way!

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
I really don't understand your riser/width questions. 1.25 is not a typical width. It is a bar diameter of larger bars. The stock bars are 1" diameter. I will let others answer your questions about risers and widths/diameters except that I will say you need to be careful with the knurling distance of the bars. Most aftermarket bars are desiged with a distance between the knurling on the bars to match that required for a Harley. The knurling distance and the distance the risers apart are different for a VTX. This may or may not be a problem for you depending on other factors.

On the cable/line length, there are two schools of thought. Some believe you can use your added pullback and rise to calculate a new cable length or refer to a table to get your new cable length. I am of the school that says the best way is to get your risers and new bars, temporarily install them, temporarily install the grips, switchbox housings, perches, and levers. Then run a stiff wire on the cable routing you desire. Measure the length of this wire from end to end. Be careful to understand how the distance of lines/cables are measured. They are different for the different types of cables/lines. Most aftermarket cable/line websites will have more info on this. For example, the brake lines are measured between the centers of the banjo fittings.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. With the bars I ordered, they only come in 1.25" diameter. So I ordered 1.25" diameter risers that actually fit inside the stock triple tree of a VTX. The bars and risers I ordered are from Carlinidesign.com. They are not stepped down at the bottom so the diameter is 1.25" where the risers would go, hence the reason for having to buy the risers.

Do you have any tips on what I should measure with? I was thinking a coat hanger since it might be the same stiffness of most cables.

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
Thanks for your response. With the bars I ordered, they only come in 1.25" diameter. So I ordered 1.25" diameter risers that actually fit inside the stock triple tree of a VTX. The bars and risers I ordered are from Carlinidesign.com. They are not stepped down at the bottom so the diameter is 1.25" where the risers would go, hence the reason for having to buy the risers.

Do you have any tips on what I should measure with? I was thinking a coat hanger since it might be the same stiffness of most cables.
I would not use a coat hanger. The wire is too stiff and inflexible and probably not long enough. I used some stiff wire like 12 or 14 gauge house electrical wire. Another person on the Cafe reported using spare coaxial (cable TV) cable which I thought was a real good idea. It has about the same stiffness as the lines and the larger diameter will even show you what the new routing would look like.

Do your new bars come with knurling? If so, is the distance between the knurling set for a Harley or a VTX?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I also saw something about using co-ax cables, which I have plenty of so I'll be using that. As far as the knurling, no, the Carlini Evil apes do not come with knurling because the risers that fit the VTX are made where knurling is not needed. That was one thing I was worried about but the Carlini sales guy set me straight on that. Thanks for your tips.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Yes, I also saw something about using co-ax cables, which I have plenty of so I'll be using that. As far as the knurling, no, the Carlini Evil apes do not come with knurling because the risers that fit the VTX are made where knurling is not needed. That was one thing I was worried about but the Carlini sales guy set me straight on that. Thanks for your tips.

With or without knurling, make sure you use BLUE Locktite on the bolts of your risers. Don't want them loosening up on you.

Ray

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
Please do us a favor and report back after you are done with this install and tell us how stable the bars without knurling are in the risers. Can you pull hard on the bars and they don't move? I suspect Carlini is correct but I am one of the people who probably too frequently and vehemently warn people to watch our for the knurling distance. If that is not a problem, I can save some electrons and stop warning people about it or at least let them know that an option is to use no knurling. Do you know what is special about these Carlini risers that they don't need knurled bars? Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
There are a lot of folks that have aftermarket bars with no knurling. You'll be fine. Just keep them tight.

My bars knurling is so intense that I can remove the bolts completely and the bars don't move. My risers have no knurling at all. I have to tap the riser tops with a rubber mallet to remove them. Then I tap the bars to get them out of the risers.

You will be fine. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, Im not sure what is special about the risers, I should get the parts in early next week though, so I'll let you know what I see. I have one more question...someone in a post a few days ago said they put 16" apes on their bike and only had to get cables that were an extra +12. When I viewed a cruisercustomizing tip video yesterday, they said the easy way to measure is the full height of the bars, then half of the pullback. If my bars are 17" with a 7" pullback, that would mean I would need a +20.5. I'm so confused with this measuring part of this process.

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you with that. I am a firm believer in the need to install the bars, risers, grips, etc. first and then measure. My esteemed colleague and friend Mondorah has experience with the +length needed for some size apes but I don't know if his info will be applicable to your situation. I am sure he will respond on this soon.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would be wary of some magic formula. There are a lot of variables (how you route the cables, angle of the bars mounted in the risers, fork extensions,... etc). The best bet is to take their sage advice and mock up and measure... no voodoo involved. It may take a little longer, but the chances of it being right the 1st time are greatly increased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Understand the technical discussion but can someone give an estimate cost on wires, cable, etc and approx. labor hours to do the job? I believe 12" hangers for VTX 1300c is between $50 - 100.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone know what is the most riser that can be put on a 2007 VTX 1300c. Height and pull back without messing with stock wires/cables?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Understand the technical discussion but can someone give an estimate cost on wires, cable, etc and approx. labor hours to do the job? I believe 12" hangers for VTX 1300c is between $50 - 100.
LA Choppers Apes = $110
LA Choppers Risers = $125-150
Throttles, push&pull set (Motion Pro) = $110
Clutch = $55
Brake cable (Galfer, stock +sizes) = $85
New Grips = $40
Heat shrink, wires, various tools, etc = $20
Beer = $12

Total = you can add it up, it makes my stomach turn to think about it

That was my cost. But I also ended up having my brake line put on by the dealer because I sucked at it. So that was another $$.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts