Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being a cheap bastard, I saved a bunch of money while simultaneously creating a headache for myself.

The crux of the problem is (I believe) the spacers they sent for mounting the brackets to the fender. While the installation instructions indicated a pair of long spacers and a pair of short spacers, I got 4 of the same. When I attempt to mount a bracket with the spacers and bolts, I find that the long (front) bolts can only tighten maybe a 1/4 turn into the nut, and the short (rear) bolts never even bite into the threads in the fender.

So I contacted the company, explained my problem to lady that answered the phone, and she was kind enough to send me the correct mounting hardware, and even a replacement bracket for one that came with a gouge in the chrome.

Well, when it arrived yesterday, it was a set of identical hardware, so I'm stuck in the same boat. I think I'm probably just going to shop around for bushings that will allow the bolts to actually screw into something, but I'm worried that when I put that Frankenstein together, nothing will line up properly.

Has anyone else seen this problem with the after-market brackets? Or even with Honda?

·
Lady Rider
870 Posts
I just posted earlier, I did away with my spacers, due to difficulty finding correct bolt sizes. I used nylon spacers from Lowes and it was just enough to keep metal off metal. You don't see them unless you're looking for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used nylon spacers from Lowes and it was just enough to keep metal off metal. You don't see them unless you're looking for them.
Thanks Kermit, I think I'll go pick up a handful of these at lunch and experiment with the installation a little bit tonight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My buddy had the exact same issue with his Bestem sissy bar bracket but he was sent the correct (short) spacers after he called the company.

·
Registered
136 Posts
on my 1800c i also used the same sissy bar. yes it calls for the long in the front hole and short in it center hole. they sent me 4 of each spacer. what i did was used all long spacers behind the bracket and put the short in front of the bracket. that made be some good bunggy buttons by doing that. the bolts they sent me where the correct length for that setup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nylon Spacers Worked

Thanks a bunch Kermit, I just got some 1/2" diameter nylon spacers, threw the whole thing together and tightened it down and it looks great. You can't seem them unless you're right on top of it, peering around the bracket.

Worked like a charm.

·
Not as old as I feel...
1,442 Posts
Just a quick note about Bestem products - at least mine. I didn't keep a good layer of wax on my backrest/luggage rack set and now have several places where rust is showing up in corners. I don't know if other brands have this problem, but Bestem sure does.

I've had my setup for about 1 1/2 years and had to keep the bike outside, but usually under a cover for a year in Georgia. Your experience may vary...

G26

1 - 7 of 7 Posts