Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be installing the Kuryakn Pro-R Hypercharger and Bub Jug Huggers this weekend. All the instructions seem to be pretty straight forward, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the installs?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
main thing i have learned from this forum is do not rejet the bike. I hope you did not buy a rejet kit. Most exhaust systems will run perfectly installed on a vtx with only a/f mixture adjustment needed. good luck, i like the bub sound too!
Bry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pro-R Hypercharger comes with a Jet Kit. I was planning on installing that and then taking the bike to a shop for a Dyno Tune. Are you saying that I shouldn't re-jet with the intake and exhaust?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
The jet kit they supply with that thing is all wrong...Charlie D knows the specifics on it, as he had a Hypercharger, and took it off and threw it on the junk pile in his shop...Something about being overpriced garbage or something along those lines...One thing for sure though...That piece of vacuum line they supplied...Throw it directly into the nearest trash can as it's junk...It'll crack and cause a vacuum leak within a few months, and you'll be back here with a problem with the bike not running right, and the butterflies on the Hyper not working...Get a good piece of vacuum line from Autozone and use that instead...Might as well fix that problem before you even install the Hyper...;)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Don't use the supplied jet kit, it will cause you more harm than good.... Either SCAR mod or Factory Pro jet kit....

+1 on the cheap vacuum line with the hyper, it'll leak within a few months and cause problems....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so junk the hypercharger jet kit, and go with a different vacuum hose. I can definitely do that.

I am looking into the Factory Pro Jet Kit, and am also checking with a local shop that does dyno tuning.

The question I have is should I even attempt to install the hypercharger and pipes without re-jetting for now? If so, what type of adjustments should I make to the carb until I can get it re-jetted and tuned?

What is the SCAR mod?

·
33,457 Posts
Unless you're dead set on throwing a bunch of money away having it dyno tuned, don't bother with taking it to a shop...We can get you setup with it running the best it can and save you $$$...Go ahead and install the pipes, but get a better jet kit before doing the Hyper install....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you're dead set on throwing a bunch of money away having it dyno tuned, don't bother with taking it to a shop...We can get you setup with it running the best it can and save you $$$...Go ahead and install the pipes, but get a better jet kit before doing the Hyper install....

Thanks Bassdude404. I will install the pipes and hold off on the Hypercharger for now until I can get the Factory Pro Jet Kit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about doing a jet kit. I sent an email to Factory Pro with specifics on my setup, elevation, etc to make sure I get the right parts.

Between the tech support they offer and this site, I should be able to do the install and dial it in just fine.

The one thing that bothers me is that I have seen reports all over the internet about the inferior quality of the jet kit with the Hypercharger and the inferior vacuum line, yet Kuryakn continues to ship those parts. That is not very customer oriented IMO.

I will let you all know how the pipes sound and when I get the Factory Pro jet kit, I will be back asking for tips!

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like you all saved me a bunch of headaches! :choppersm

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just remember, if you dont go with the hypercharger right away, all you will need to do is adjust your a/f screw out. In any case, I'm a pretty new member and i am still amazed how smart these guys are who are willing to help out with x tuning, problems etc.
Good luck!
Bry

ps, is returning the hypercharger something you might want to do? Could get a lot of goodies for the price of it. Just a thought. :choppersm

·
33,457 Posts
The one thing that bothers me is that I have seen reports all over the internet about the inferior quality of the jet kit with the Hypercharger and the inferior vacuum line, yet Kuryakn continues to ship those parts. That is not very customer oriented IMO.
That's because all they care about is $$....For instance...About two years ago I bought a pair of ISO Flame grips for my bike...Well the rubber in them is getting pretty worn, and could really stand to be replaced..So I sent them an email inquiring about replacement ruber...Their response was that replacement rubber is not available, and said that I could just order another pair of grips...Ummm....No, that won't be happening...At least not from them anyways....:nope:

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
as everyone said above the jetting for the hyper is all wrong and the vacuum line is garbage.

Factory pro stage 3 is the best kit and you won't need any dyno time to know it.

For now if you want to do the install of the hyper all you need to do is add 2 shims to the stock needle and adjust the pilot (A/F) screw to 2 1/2 turns open from a lightly seated position.
It is very easy to do if you follow the scar write up just don't cut the big main spring.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to thank everyone again for their inputs, tips and suggestions.

I have read the SCAR method and found a fantastic PDF of the method on another thread. There is one part that confuses me a bit, and that is the use of shims.

If someone could explain that in a bit more detail, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed that same setup a couple weeks ago. I did the scar mod with 2 shims. The A/F screw can be a beast without a good tool. I ended up messing mine up and wasn’t able to adjust it. I got lucky because the bike ran great with it set where it was. Don’t know why. from everything I have read it should be sputtering like a stuck pig. There is a permanent one that you can install that comes with a tool that will allow you to remove it without too much trouble. I’m waiting on mine to show up so I can fix what I messed up.

The pipes go on easy. Took me about a hour. The sound is amazing:mosh::mosh::mosh:. It does gurgle an pop on decell but I think it always did , it’s just louder now. The instructions on the Hyper are good. Didn’t have any issues at all. good luck.

Tomorrow I’m going to run out and get some vacuum hose myself. That was a good tip i missed some ware.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The needle transitions you from your pilot to your main jet.

So raising or lowering your needle changes where that transition takes place.
Ever been in a carburated vehicle that had a flat spot from say 20% when you stomped on the peddle? Thats because the transition wasn't correct.

The shims can be found at radio shack in a bag full of lots of different sizes. The bag is only a few bucks.

Your new jet kit will have a needle that has different clip positions which is essentially the same thing, infact to fine tune your Factory pro jet kit you can use a shim which is about 1/2 a clip position...

ultimately the SCAR mod can help you with a lean roll on throttle hesitation but will do nothing to your top end because it doesnt change the size of your main jet.

hope this makes sense?

:patriot:
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
The scar mod shims (actually just washers) can also be found at any hardware store, to save yourself time looking for them just ask where the #4 stainless steel washers are. (about 10 cents each)

Also, if you still have the pair valve on your bike you will hear some popping in the exhaust you didn't hear with the stock pipes, completely normal and easy to cure. The next mod to research is the pair mod, it removes the pollution control system the EPA required. The block off plates cost between $12 to $16 depending on where you get them, just be sure to get the plates with the dimple so you don't have to remove the reed plate, then it's just a simple swap of the cover.
http://www.myvtx1300.com/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed the pipes today and am extremely impressed with the sound. It is exactly what I was looking for. :D

The install instructions could use a bit of fine tuning, but are otherwise pretty good.

The only problem I found is that the instructions call for you to use the OEM grommets from the original mounting bracket in the new bracket. One grommet seems to be a bit too big, but it does work.

I can probably make it better by getting a larger washer so that the nut doesn't dig into the grommet on the left side.

The biggest problem I had was getting the old exhaust gaskets off. That part took a good amount of time as the originals were stuck pretty good. I cleaned up the mounting surfaces and put everything back together.

I also ordered the PAIR valve block off plates from VTX-Parts.com and will order the Factory Pro Jet Kit on Monday.

:choppersm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts