Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 vtx 1300 c yesterday the speedometer quit working and I've noticed that the coolant level light doesn't come on when I turn on the key everything else works ie; the turn signals and the neutral light, and the oil light comes on but the odometer isn't working. I've checked the green connectors under the tank and sprayed some WD40 in them and reconnected them. Am I missing something or could my speedometer just be bad?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I have a 2004 vtx 1300 c yesterday the speedometer quit working and I've noticed that the coolant level light doesn't come on when I turn on the key everything else works ie; the turn signals and the neutral light, and the oil light comes on but the odometer isn't working. I've checked the green connectors under the tank and sprayed some WD40 in them and reconnected them. Am I missing something or could my speedometer just be bad?
Look very closely at the pins in the green plugs - sometimes they get pushed back into their housing a little and don't make contact. Look closely with a magnifying glass if needed. All spedo housing info goes threw those plugs.
Others have missed it before even after looking at the plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug,

Thanks for the advice I took them apart again and checked with a magnifying glass and everything looked good. I don't think you could push any of the connectors any farther in than they were already. Still not working, is the coolant level light supposed to come on when you first turn the key on, like the oil light does?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
No the coolant light dose not come on just the neutral and the oil light comes on. Is the speedometer working- if so the the spedo sensor is good but the reset button is probably bad- I haven't had one out of the housing you might try spraying some WD40 in to any holes in it if there is any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts