Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Producer
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there is a lotta marketing, hype for the new darker, less blinged out look of new models of bikes. Midnight this, flat black motor, trim, etc.
I personally am a chrome whore. I grew up in the 50's. Nuff said.

Long live the shiney stuff. What do y'all think? Just marketing to come up with a different look, or will chrome fade to an "old school" memory?

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m623/Producer3/?albumview=slideshow

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Nahhhh, chrome will never go away. There is always a new this and a new that but chrome always stays there somewhere. Some people just aren't into the chrome look as much and marketing people know that, so they come up with new ways to try and please everyone.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I like shiney too. However that blacked out look on some particular bikes looks really cool , I must admit. Harley crossbones comes to mind.
And then again some people say they go with the flat black to keep from having to clean and polish so much. Not sure if that's a good argument or not. To me dirty is dirty. Be it shiney chrome and glossy paint to matte black and brushed aluminum. If it's got bugs and crap all over it , it doesn't matter.

·
243 Posts
Seems like there is a lotta marketing, hype for the new darker, less blinged out look of new models of bikes. Midnight this, flat black motor, trim, etc.
I personally am a chrome whore. I grew up in the 50's. Nuff said.

Long live the shiney stuff. What do y'all think? Just marketing to come up with a different look, or will chrome fade to an "old school" memory?

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m623/Producer3/?albumview=slideshow
For those that really like it.... I think than soon the blacked-out craze will be an "old-school" memory. IMHO, a concept that was probably designed to make chrome pop developed a life of its own. Who would want to own a flat black car?

·
Thumper
384 Posts
True trends come and go but I don't consider chrome a trend. It's been around for years and it will stay around. The black trend will soon fade.

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Chrome will always be a classic look. Seems to me a totally dark ride would be even harder for cagers to see than bikes already are. As for me, I'm hooked on my shine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
True trends come and go but I don't consider chrome a trend. It's been around for years and it will stay around. The black trend will soon fade.
A+ that way when chrome comes back it will make me look good
with my leisure suit on. :D

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I like a blacked out enginge with a LOT of chrome around it. I've had problems with the chrome making it difficult to see at some times when the sun hit it right. Just made me smile bigger and wink a bit more. I love my chrome!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
When I insured my bike the agent wanted the color. My reply was Black and Chrome. She wrote down Black and I corrected her and she just smiled and said "chrome is not a color". When she stepped out to look at the bike due to the full coverage she smiled again and said, "you are right, it is Black and Chrome"......."but; Chrome is just a statement, not a color"....dumb woman......

·
Registered
732 Posts
Who would want to own a flat black car?

Hey now, back in high school, I had a flat black 72 Cutlass Supreme, with brushed aluminum Centerlines and the bumpers scotch brited to match the wheels(mostly because of the surface rust they had). Straight car and I loved it. Looked bad ass. That being said, some bikes do look good that way, some don't. I do love the spec 3 chrome on my N. :icon_chee

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
The same thing happened with modified car rims... they've gone flat black, white, colors, gunmetal etc... chrome 'still' holds the highest sale and resale value... it's the pinnacle.

Mort

·
Registered
99 Posts
i am just thinking it might be with the economy and such chroming can be costly to operate and keep in the regs of the epa.? plus it allows a somewhat less expensive level of bike?

·
Registered
122 Posts
From a chrome whore

Man,,if chrome goes out of style I'm gonna stick out like a drunken sailor at a church social. Blacked out components against chrome will never go out of style but some of the newer rides are really nice to look at. Its like anything else,,too much of one thing doesn't look good against a tastefully done combination.

·
Registered
816 Posts
chrome will never die, the more the better, just seems that the more chrome you have, people still dont see you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"Chrome", the other white meat!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hate chrome. It's been played out for me. I am constantly looking for carbon fiber replacements. I'm hoping some company gets the clue and starts producing it, because I can't find anything.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts