Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When first starting out on my 2003 VTX 1300 and beginning to release the clutch from a dead stop, the clutch seems to slip a bit and make a slight screeching noise. After riding for a mile or two it doesn't do it any more.

The bike has just under 22k miles. Do I need the clutch replaced/adjusted or is this just a part of warming up the engine?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Need some info for anyone who will reply to this. When was oil changed and what kind was used? Did this start all of a sudden? What was done to the bike right before it started? Is your oil level good? Always only when starting out in first gear?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just purchased the bike last month. I will check the oil. It was checked when I bought it and had adequate oil.
Since I have only been riding it a few weeks I cannot tell if this is an ongoing problem or not.
I was told by the dealership that the previous owner had a "major" maintenance done just before trading it in. (Valves, oil, etc) I do have the phone number of the previous owner.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
I just purchased the bike last month. I will check the oil. It was checked when I bought it and had adequate oil.
Since I have only been riding it a few weeks I cannot tell if this is an ongoing problem or not.
I was told by the dealership that the previous owner had a "major" maintenance done just before trading it in. (Valves, oil, etc) I do have the phone number of the previous owner.
If you can find out what oil was used, and what all was just done and ask him about the clutch that might give you and us some insight into how to help. And you may know this, but bike has to be straight up to check oil level properly.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
What oil do you recommend, Woody?

Well, there are different opinions, but the most important thing is it CAN'T be energy conserving oil. That being said, I use the Shell Rotella T oil, Walmart had it for about $13.00 for a gallon. I used the 15W 40 because of the heat here in Florida. When you do the oil and filter, you can use the whole gallon instead of the 3.9 quart recommended.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I just checked the oil level and it appears to be at the max, perhaps even a bit over. Would too much oil make a difference? I know when I overfill my lawnmower it gets cranky. :icon_susp

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just checked the oil level and it appears to be at the max, perhaps even a bit over. Would too much oil make a difference? I know when I overfill my lawnmower it gets cranky. :icon_susp
If it's just a hair over it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure when checking oil, you remove dipstick, wipe off, set dipstick back in gently and do not screw it in, pull out and check level.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
How much, if any, free-play is there at the clutch lever?

I was thinking that too, but since he said it goes away after a few minutes, I kinda went the other route.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
If it's just a hair over it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure when checking oil, you remove dipstick, wipe off, set dipstick back in gently and do not screw it in, pull out and check level.
Also, bike should be held level when checking the oil...not setting on the side stand.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
One thing I forgot to ask you. Are you just getting used to riding? Is it possible that you are using the clutch a little too slow upon starting out? Didn't think to ask this before. sorry.

Also, bike should be held level when checking the oil...not setting on the side stand.
Yep John, covered that one just before. :D

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
On a stock bike.
You should only have 3/8" to 3/4" free-play at the end of the lever.

And with a clutch relief option even less.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
On a stock bike.
You should only have 3/8" to 3/4" free-play at the end of the lever.

And with a clutch relief option even less.
Hey Doug, what's your take on it going away after a few minutes? Seems like a warming up issue, that's why I leaned towards the oil.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
The oil temp will affect it and also it takes time for the oil to pump up into the wet clutch. Like your blood in the morning. lol Also sometimes mine has a chirping sound when I let it out and I have been hearing that for years and have gotten to the point that I just quit worrying about it. I think it is just the nature of the beast.
I believe the clutch play is important and I have walked around a lot of bikes at tech sessions and noticed that a lot if them have too much play in them for comfort I believe. If there is too much play in the clutch lever it is actually not dis-engaging and that is also why it is sometimes hard to find first and also get into gear - the gears are square and not tapered so they are harder to line up especially in first. Mine is really easy to find and get into first with no problems.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
I know all about the blood flowing slow. LOL. Maybe being in Florida I don't notice a problem with the oil temp even when taking off cold. Just wondering what kind of oil was used and what weight for his bike. Can't say I ever heard a chirping sound with mine.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Mines been chirping for years when I let out my clutch in 2nd and up but now since I installed my Vance & Hines Big Shots I don't hear it as much.
I'm running Amsoil an I will be changing to Rotilla for my next oil change Amsoil just got to expensive for me - with shipping $65. For a bike - heck my care is cheaper for an oil change.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Mines been chirping for years when I let out my clutch in 2nd and up but now since I installed my Vance & Hines Big Shots I don't hear it as much.
I'm running Amsoil an I will be changing to Rotilla for my next oil change Amsoil just got to expensive for me - with shipping $65. For a bike - heck my care is cheaper for an oil change.
Yeah, haven't gone synth yet. Still gathering info and undecided yet. The Rotella T dino is cheap enough for now. and still good oil.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, guys! I have learned a lot here today. I will let the bike warm up a bit more before taking off. It has been quite cool here in Iowa the past few weeks. We had a major heat wave last week and I don't recall the chirping sound then.

You guys rock!......Ride on!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I've ridden my bike to work in November, 35* temps, and never heard a squeak, chirp, burp, or fart from the clutch ever...Just rolled over 18,000 miles on Saturday...:hmm2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts