Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been think I might do the upgrade on the carbs but I'm not changing my pips so my question is is it worth doing then? Any thoughts or answers appreciated

·
Too short for my weight
5,670 Posts
It’s only worth it if you’re going to decap the air box or go with a big air setup.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
691 Posts
Worth it is entirely up to your funds. If the question is, can a stock bike benefit from a carb tune, the answer is yes. If the question is if the cost per gain makes it worth it, that is up to you. The stock setting for the carb is not the ideal tune for your location. If you think you are going to mod the bike's air cleaner (either decap, or aftermarket), your best bang for the buck is to do that first, and if you haven't already, remove the pair valve, because you 100% will have to tune after these changes. If you do start to mess with the carb, you can really benefit from the GlenVTXgarage permanent AF tool (be sure to get the permanent tool, not the other).

Glen's AF Tool:

FactoryPro Carb Jet Kit (best for our bike):

Many people have argued that a dyno tune is not worth it on our bikes, and using the carb tuning guide is good enough. Well, it wasn't to me. The guide would never have landed me on my current tune. In the end, I paid $300 for a dyno tune (my bike was was perfectly tuned for my exact setup and elevation and back to me in 1 day), that was well worth it to me. My tuner uses an exhaust sniffer which gives actual readings (I have a 2:1 exhaust) at all RPMs.

I have removed my choke (enricher), and even in the cold of winter I do not need it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I will say no. The 1300 is very dependable and is certainly is not a race bike. You can spend a lot of money to try and make it something it is not or you can use that money for things that make the ride more comfortable. It ain’t broke so I am against trying to fix it. Of course your bike, your money, and certainly your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will say no. The 1300 is very dependable and is certainly is not a race bike. You can spend a lot of money to try and make it something it is not or you can use that money for things that make the ride more comfortable. It ain’t broke so I am against trying to fix it. Of course your bike, your money, and certainly your decision.

Trust me comfort is coming first for most this was more like after everything I wanna get it up to 130 like it says it can and only thing I can think of to do that would be putting big jets in the carbs

·
Registered
329 Posts
Trust me comfort is coming first for most this was more like after everything I wanna get it up to 130 like it says it can and only thing I can think of to do that would be putting big jets in the carbs
If the speedometer is corrected for actual speed, I think you would be hard pressed to get a 1300 to 130 given the rev limiter on the engine. These are low compression motors that are not designed or intended to turn more than 6k rpm. My motor is bone stock in regards to engine. In 5 gear with a corrected speedo at 100 the engine is turning about 4900 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
130 on a VTX? Well, if things go south at 130 (if you can even get it up to 130, maybe going down a steep mountain road) I would say that having an organ donor card would be a waste of time since there probably wouldn't be any organs left worth donating!!!!!🏴‍☠️ 😵

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bike before this was a 2012 hayabusa not scared doing 130 but my question mainly was if that would help on highway riding since it be bigger jets...

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
You are looking at a much heavier bike (at least over 600 lbs., dry, more like 800+ lbs with fairing, bags and loaded for cross country riding two up) and a four stroke with only 5 speeds and a speedo that is typically reading 10 % high, (think, if the bike speedo says that you are going 100 MPH, you're actually only going 90 MPH). Remember, this is a poor mans cruiser!!! Having said this I have done a 7,800+ mile cross country trip in 28 days from California with stop overs in Denver CO, Ohio, West Virginia (the VTX get together at the Pokey), Ohio, South Dakota (Sturgis for one week) Denver CO and back to California and 67 yrs old at the time and 16,600 miles over a three consecutive year period that included the above mentioned trip!!!!! If you are looking for blazing speed, you're in the wrong place, if you are looking for all around options and a really good time, welcome to the Cafe!!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
If it works now, don't mess with it.
I have had friends that had a bike running exactly the way it should and continue to tweak it trying to make it produce way more power than it was ever designed or intended to make. It’s usually not long after that, you start getting messages about the bike either won’t run or runs like crap and they can’t understand what could possibly have caused that to happen. It is always a mystery.

I do always tell them it’s their bike, their time, their money, and their decision.

·
Registered
2004 1300S, converted to 1300T
18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts

I agree 100% I just did a stage one for $300 and they screwed it up and I just had to pay another $300 to get it done right and it's still a VTX 1300, I did add cobra slip on's and it dose sound great, but $600 not to smart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are looking at a much heavier bike (at least over 600 lbs., dry, more like 800+ lbs with fairing, bags and loaded for cross country riding two up) and a four stroke with only 5 speeds and a speedo that is typically reading 10 % high, (think, if the bike speedo says that you are going 100 MPH, you're actually only going 90 MPH). Remember, this is a poor mans cruiser!!! Having said this I have done a 7,800+ mile cross country trip in 28 days from California with stop overs in Denver CO, Ohio, West Virginia (the VTX get together at the Pokey), Ohio, South Dakota (Sturgis for one week) Denver CO and back to California and 67 yrs old at the time and 16,600 miles over a three consecutive year period that included the above mentioned trip!!!!! If you are looking for blazing speed, you're in the wrong place, if you are looking for all around options and a really good time, welcome to the Cafe!!!!!
Yea I've given up on that thought I like what it does now I'm just adding stuff to make it better long distance mainly new seat, windshield, highway bar and pegs , new rear shocks to. How was that ride u mentioned I dont plain on something that long but sounds like it was a blast.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
Yea I've given up on that thought I like what it does now I'm just adding stuff to make it better long distance mainly new seat, windshield, highway bar and pegs , new rear shocks to. How was that ride u mentioned I don't plain on something that long but sounds like it was a blast.
It was the solo ride of a lifetime!!!! Course I hope to live in good health long enough to maybe do another ride like it. You never know!!!!!
Hope you get the chance to have a once in a lifetime adventure, whether it be on your bike or otherwise. I highly recommend it!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts