Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this bike is new to be as of week and a half ago. 2004 Vtx 1800c. I believe it has an intercom installed but not sure. There is a hi/lo toggle switch on the handle bars with wires running into a hole drilled in the bars and wires running into the headlight. Then down by the key looks like some funky jack for like 1/4" headphone type looking jack. IS THIS AN INTERCOM SYSTEM? also I'm not a fan of having stuff installed that I don't want or use. Should I remove this??

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Best thing to do is contact the previous owner and ask what it is. If it is a intercom he may be able to give you insight on how to remove it. It may also be for audio input with a volume control of hi/low. does it look like it had any speakers mounted?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sounds more like a jack for heated clothing, i.e. the switch. My thoughts are that an intercom would be more talk and shut up than talk and switch off..........unless she just rambles on and on constantly.:icon_blah:icon_blah:icon_blah

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Sounds more like a jack for heated clothing, i.e. the switch. My thoughts are that an intercom would be more talk and shut up than talk and switch off..........unless she just rambles on and on constantly.:icon_blah:icon_blah:icon_blah
I need an on/off switch for my Goldwing intercom, may be an Ipod jack, is there speakers without a stereo?

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Simply test the ports with test light to solve what's live.

Take advantage if done decent -
but if nothing is soldered - heat shrinked - then gut it out - or alter it.

Possible switch up front was driving lights.
But if any of it traces back into starter switch button - then gut it - or use for LED's, low power.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,207 Posts
Does it look like this may fit. My guess of the day is heated riding gear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can’t tell from the picture, does the bike have running light up front?
Switch on the handlebars looks like it could be an auxiliary of on switch for running lights.

My guess is the connector by the key switch is for a heater with a off on switch just above the plug receptacle.

[/QUOTE]

Keep us updated when you find out.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
You may be onto something there... that location would be perfect for heated gear plug. The on/off switch right next to it, then the hi/lo switch may be either hi/lo heat or to turn on jacket heat only or jacket and pants heat.
The Hi/Lo switch is made to be mounted to the bars so it has to be a m/c accessory.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The toggle switch by the receptacle is for the led lighting on the bike. Also when the bike is powered up and I flip that hi lo switch..all the lights on the bike flicker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I was riding tonite....and was thinking, now why would someone route wires from a switch through the handle bars....then the hi-off-lo. Hit me... What if they are heated grips?? I flicked it to hi and rode my remaining 2miles....either I suffer from a huge placebo effect...or the grips were getting warmer... So now just need to figure out what the other port is.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
If he went for the heated grips he probably did some cold riding so it has to be for heated gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts