Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back in town. Been in China for a couple weeks. I'm going to do the annual "visit the folks" trip and I wanna take the bike. The rear tire has about 7100 miles on it. Below are a couple pics of the wear. Given this bike is my first I need opinions on if it looks ok to go for a trip.

Please advise.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm back in town. Been in China for a couple weeks. I'm going to do the annual "visit the folks" trip and I wanna take the bike. The rear tire has about 7100 miles on it. Below are a couple pics of the wear. Given this bike is my first I need opinions on if it looks ok to go for a trip.

Please advise.
If it is the stock Dunlop I would change it before the trip, another 2000 miles of riding in the summer heat and that tire will be beyond gone in my opinion. By 7500 my stock tire was in really bad shape.

·
9,160 Posts
For me, I'd replace it before making any sort of long trip. 7,100 miles seems like a fair return on the present one. Better to have it replaced locally, by someone you know and deal with than possibly having to do it on the road. Have a safe and fun trip. :patriot: :choppersm

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
Was going to squeeze a few more miles out of mine too. Then just going 10 mph around a "wet" corner, she started to slide. As Kenko said, better safe than sorry. Flats and or blow outs aren't worth the risk. FWIW.

Pdave (aka soon to be darksidedave)

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I would agree with everyone, for around town I'd run it out. But for a long trip I'd change it if you have the funds to do so, nothing worse than being stranded waiting on a tow truck or worse... an ambulance from a flat at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the stock Dunlop. Consensus around here seems anti-dunlop. I really would'nt know. I see Avon and Metz mentioned most often so I'll see what the local shop has.

Thanks guys.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
Or, order online.

I think the Metzeler is the most highly-regarded.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you still have the stock dunnie on the front, I would stick to another dunnie on the rear for now. If you are changing one to another brand with another tread pattern, I would change them both to be "matching" tires. Just my .02

PG

·
Registered
469 Posts
MY TIRE BLEW OUT WIHTOUT WARNING AND IT LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE THAT!!!!!!!

I am NEVER going to push another one again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts