Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's not something i've gotten a lot, just a couple times, but both recent, like in the last couple of weeks. someone will ask if the bike is a victory.

i was out and near the victory dealer so i stopped in to see what bike looked like mine. i'm guessing it must be the vegas.

when i walked in and the dealer asked if he could help, i just explained why i was there. i wouldn't say he was miffed at my honda being confused for a victory, but he didn't seem to take it as anything positive, i guess. the funny thing is, once i pointed out the vegas and said that must be it, he asked if a had a vtx, so i wondered if he had heard it before. i did mention i had a honda though (i was in my truck at the time).

anyway, just got my curiousity going to see what others get.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I heard that quite a bit before I added the fairing and hardbags...The pointed rear fender I think is what gets folks thinking that...

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Mostly just from people who don't know any better (non-motorcycle owners) asking what kind of Harley it is...

Them: Is that a Harley?
Me: No, why? Is it leaking oil?

:D

-Gonz

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Last Saturday, I had another Honda owner think my '06 1300R was a HD. Of course he was ridin' an old Wing at the time. :)

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
If I had a nickle....not for every time someone asked if that was a Harley but for every time someone asked this question in a new thread. :bleh:

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i've owned cruisers since i was 21/22 (20+years) and not once has anyone every asked me what Harley is that (not the honda, the kawi, or the suzi), not once...they have however asked me which rice burner brand is it....and i just simply tell them which brand it is i own at the time. i don't disrespect anyone who calls it a rice burner or whatever, i just simply answer the question...99.9% of the time, those who ask don't own a bike, but they wish to but their wife won't let them.....i could see how that would go at my house
and i have to agree with hawk as well...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Being in Milwaukee every one thinks every nice bike is a harley.
Even guys on harleys thinks it is a harley. I giggle to myself.
I get even more compliments on the color and people can't believe it is
factory paint. I would love a harley but logic tells me why not have twice the bike
at 1/2 the price. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
I get "Nice Harley" a lot. When I tell them that it's a Honda, they say "sorry". I always tell them that there's no need to apologize, I don't. Most of the time they are stonewalled that a Honda can look so good.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Most time nobody has a clue what kind of bike mine is. The bags really mess with their heads....lol. I have had a few people think its a Victory.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too get asked what type of Harley. When I say VTX I get the deer in headlights look, then I say Honda. Twice I have had another HD rider ask what I had against HD, probably because they were embarrassed because the said they could not find this model when they bought theirs and love the way it looks, or did not look close enough to see the Honda labels on the sides. I usually go on to explain I have owned two HD's while in the service and had replaced everything with S&S parts (Engine, Carb, Tranny, etc.) after many failed attempts of rebuilds or trying to stop leaks, keep them running etc. So I usually ask them how many HD parts they have replaced with S&S parts so far. I hope the new HD's are not as bad as years ago for the sake of the guys buying them today.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I've been told NICE HARLEY ......BUT, I have Never been asked if it was a honda........hummmmm lol j/k

a guy in our club (southern cruisers) asked my ol'lady, if her black hd shoes
were oil soaked white reboks....lmao

I do get a lot of ribbing from our club members & I do alot of it back to them also....
all in fun though.........

·
Registered
424 Posts
I get asked that often by non-bikers. Got to be honest Gonzo, I'm going to borrow that line, made me laugh!
Mostly just from people who don't know any better (non-motorcycle owners) asking what kind of Harley it is...

Them: Is that a Harley?
Me: No, why? Is it leaking oil?

:D

-Gonz

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
I have pretty similar experiences. Usually at a gas station or when I pull into or out of places to eat and it's usually comments made by non-riders.

What I hear usually runs something like this...

Them: either... "Is that a Harley?" or "Nice Harley."
Me: No, why? Did something fall off?
Them: Huh?
Me: Nah, it's a VTX?
Them: Huh?
Me: It's used to be made by Honda.
Them: Oh.... So who makes it now?
Me: Nobody! She's "custom."

:bleh:

However, MOST often what I get is: "Nice bike," "Beautiful bike" or "Like/Love your bike."

I'm constantly amazed at how many blue haired old grandmas make the latter comments... :hmm2:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Had a guy at a stop light ask, is that a Harley, I said, ya, its the new VTX Harley, he said , Cool, and drove off.
I was with 3 HDs.

You cant fix stupid.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I have literally had people tell me I didn't now chit about bikes because it was a Harley. They stopped though when I flipped the key and cranked it up. They realized it was my bike then and sort of slunked out of there. I about peed myself laughing.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
You cant fix stupid.[/QUOTE said:
but if he doesn't ride, does it really make somone stupid? i'm curious, cause i've been trying for 20+ years to figure out why people insist on making comments that belittle and degrade someone because they don't know about something....seriously, were you stupid because you didn't know english or math or science or history before you learned it? sorry for the reference, but instead of belittling or degrading others, wouldn't you prefer to educate them to subject and then if they don't get it, perhaps they are stupid...
sorry, but i just don't get the point of doing that to someone...no matter how many times i'm asked what type rice burner, i still answer with respect...oh well

I have literally had people tell me I didn't now chit about bikes because it was a Harley. They stopped though when I flipped the key and cranked it up. They realized it was my bike then and sort of slunked out of there. I about peed myself laughing.
in reference to my post to wayne, then this would be the perfect time to actually consider someone stupid and unable to fix....it is funny when they tell you don't know about what's yours...lol

·
Sarge
643 Posts
Thought my bike was something else?....nope, but they thought I was Sylvester Stallone....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts