Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow that Black Widow glue that comes with the Iso Grips is fast setting!!! I pushed the grip onto the throttle side and it stuck, in the most awkward place that it could've stuck. :banghead: 1/2 to 1" on either side would have been fine, but it's just not in a good riding position. I would like to take it off but I haven't the slightest idea how?

Complicating matters, I have an extension that came with me MAD co Cam lock on it and it is butted up against it so tight that I can't get WD40 in there at all. I have put in in all 4 holes but it just gushes out the other three!

Short of the Jaw of life, anybody know how to get that thing off?

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I was going to suggest fingernail polish remover as a solvent for the glue but not sure how you'ld get it under the grip. Be sure to cover your tank if you do go shooting that stuff in there though. When you do get it off ,slide the grip on before you apply the glue, mark the position then stick it on there.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
the nail polish remover is acetone...it will mess up the rest of the grip.....I would use a heat gun......take your time...wear gloves so you can grip the grip! let me know if this works...I havent tried it myself, but sometimes they do come loose with high temps outside....mine did that!!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
WD40 usually works well, just need to use a small tip screwdriver to pry the grip up enough to be able to get the tube in as far as possible

Then after some prying, pushing, twisting, cussing, another beer, then more twisting it should come right off.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Wait a couple of months & that glue they sent with the grips will turn to powder...Sorry, just relating the truth there. Fingernail polish remover might do the trick, but like said ealrier, be sure not to get any on painted surfaces.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Maybe I'm mis-interrepting this correctly but did you say you glued the throttle side?

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
oh okay, thanks for clearing that up... it's been so long I don't remember that part... :banghead:

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Wait a couple of months & that glue they sent with the grips will turn to powder...Sorry, just relating the truth there. Fingernail polish remover might do the trick, but like said ealrier, be sure not to get any on painted surfaces.
Not to be a nay sayer but I have the ISO's on two bikes. One bike for 2 1/2 years and the other for over 2. 28,000 miles plus and lots of twisting on the "X" an 12,000 plus and lots of twisting on the Spirit.

These bikes sit out in 100°+ temps in the summer and winter temps. Never had a slip or move. I have always heard about the poor glue that comes with the ISO's - been waiting for a failure, just haven't had one.

They'll most likely fall off tomorrow after this glowing endorsement.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Not to be a nay sayer but I have the ISO's on two bikes. One bike for 2 1/2 years and the other for over 2. 28,000 miles plus and lots of twisting on the "X" an 12,000 plus and lots of twisting on the Spirit.

These bikes sit out in 100°+ temps in the summer and winter temps. Never had a slip or move. I have always heard about the poor glue that comes with the ISO's - been waiting for a failure, just haven't had one.

They'll most likely fall off tomorrow after this glowing endorsement.
All quite true my friend, the poor quality glue that some of us experienced was probably the result of product sitting on a shelf for too long, shame on me for assuming all Kury ISO grip kits are the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heat didn't work :( I tried a hair dryer at first and then I tried pointing a heat lamp on it for about and hour, nothing :banghead:

I don't really know how I would get the nail polish remover in there, the WD 40 is compressed with a straw and I can't get it up in there because it is butted up against the end cam so tight. I can't get under the rubber like I could on a stock grip because it has a lip on the end :banghead:

I guess I am going to take a hammer and flat blade screwdriver and chisel it off.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The grip glue is similar to what I used to use to glue on tubular bicycle tires. I've always had good luck using paint thinner. You might try putting a little in a jar and getting the grip in it. On the other hand I don't know what it would do to the rubber.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm about to put these on myself. How do I get the old grips off? Since this thread was started, I just thought I'd ask. I replace grips on my MX bikes but haven't replaced the grips on a street bike.....ever. Kury ISOs arriving in the mail this week.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Removal of the stock grips is fairly simple, you can take a small screwdriver & separate the grip from the bar, or just simply cut it away, but on the throttle side be careful to not cut the throttle sleeve, it's plastic, most of us have used wd40 to help with the process.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Put ISO's on two months ago with two sided golf grip tape and solvent. Worked cleanly and easily. Grips are perfect position and holding. There is another post that explains the process. Search if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can use a hypodermic needle to shoo the paint thinner threough the rubber part of the grip. Kind of hard to find. A BBQ spic injector should work as well.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
If you need a needle try a vet. Usually can get them there. Of course I am talking rural and agricultural area here. Don't really know about city vets.

Can you purchase needles (full units ) at a WalMart Pharmacy or Walgreens or the like - I have never tried ?? ....

·
Registered
91 Posts
When you get them off

Use two sided gold grip tape to put them backon.
Much easier to work with.
Pick up at any golf shop.
Works great without the instant set. Sets fast but not as fast as the super glue.
JSR in HSV

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you need a needle try a vet. Usually can get them there. Of course I am talking rural and agricultural area here. Don't really know about city vets.

Can you purchase needles (full units ) at a WalMart Pharmacy or Walgreens or the like - I have never tried ?? ....
Yep, most of the heroin addicts buy new needles from drugstores as needed.:mad:

Bry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts