Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 1300S and want to install a nice intake. Something like the Cobra or Kuryaken units. The big K doesn’t offer an intake for my bike. I imagine they made them 15 years ago when my model was new. Anyone got a big K intake that’ll bolt onto my bike? Or the Cobra supercharger unit. Same story there, they don’t offer it today. Cobra offers one but it’s not the cool supercharger style.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Those type of air intakes are not very effective. They are just expensive doorstops. You will get more performance out of decapping your airbox, replacing your pipes (or doing a Clayton mod on them), and rejetting/tuning your carb.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
547 Posts
I personally wanted a reusable filter, and I wanted to go for an aftermarket look. I also wanted to be able to remove my air filter without lifting/removing the tank. So I went with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker kit. I personally believe this is a better design then those that make a "ram air" effect when moving. Ram air on a carburetor is hard to properly tune in all ranges because the air flow is different at different speeds.

The Arlen Ness Big sucker is open all around, so air doesn't ram into the carb, but the carb also has all the air flow it needs at any speed.

This is also a design that doesn't interfere with leg room.

Reactions: RoutonT5168

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,132 Posts
Those type of air intakes are not very effective. They are just expensive doorstops. You will get more performance out of decapping your airbox, replacing your pipes (or doing a Clayton mod on them), and rejetting/tuning your carb.
CharlieD was the guy who used his as a doorstop and he literally wrote the book on carburetors

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the intakes are just for pretty...I’d hafta ta do good old fashioned motor work to boost horsepower. Couldn’t stand to see that beautiful exhaust go to waste, nobody in the aftermarket arena makes anything even close to being as visually appealing as the stock exhaust. So...Clayton mod was easy choice. Of course, with the intake comes the PAIR mod. I had a thought... I found an outfit that sells electric inline superchargers. Cheaper than any decent intake. Talk about wow factor....I wonder if it would work on my bike....daydreaming.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally wanted a reusable filter, and I wanted to go for an aftermarket look. I also wanted to be able to remove my air filter without lifting/removing the tank. So I went with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker kit. I personally believe this is a better design then those that make a "ram air" effect when moving. Ram air on a carburetor is hard to properly tune in all ranges because the air flow is different at different speeds.

The Arlen Ness Big sucker is open all around, so air doesn't ram into the carb, but the carb also has all the air flow it needs at any speed.

This is also a design that doesn't interfere with leg room.

I like the way you think. I don’t see Arlen Ness units for my bike very often. Am mulling over that other big air intake....don’t recall the name now. Decent lookin intake but once again, very expensive eye candy. I may do the airbox decap. Weighing options at the moment

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
This is the first I've ever heard of anyone mentioning an electric supercharger for a 1300 (or 1800). I've previously heard of a "normal" supercharger for an 1800 but never an electric one. You would be exploring new territory where, as history demonstrates, you will either become famous and have statues of you put all over the country or get eaten by a bear.

Reactions: RoutonT5168

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the first I've ever heard of anyone mentioning an electric supercharger for a 1300 (or 1800). I've previously heard of a "normal" supercharger for an 1800 but never an electric one. You would be exploring new territory where, as history demonstrates, you will either become famous and have statues of you put all over the country or get eaten by a bear.
I’m awaiting a response from the outfit that makes it. The ad proclaims it’s designed for a 12 volt system and provides up to 1.3 lbs boost. I’m still curious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts