Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I posted a thread about a year ago on this same subject. This is the 3rd time it has died going down the road like it was out of gas. I thought it was the battery at first....got a new one...didn't miss a lick for a while. Didn't ride for a little while and charged the battery and got down the road a little ways and "here I go again on my own" ....little Whitesnake humor. I thought I didn't charge it long enough...so discarded it to a low battery. Few minutes later it fires and runs like it was new. Then, yesterday I took it off a 3 day charge and took off. Then about 10 miles down the road it started spit’n and sputter’n like it was out of gas at this point I know it is not the battery. So, I coast to the side and start cursing....knowing the battery is charged I sat there thinking...(of pushing it into on coming traffic). Then a few minutes later it fires and runs like it was new. So, a few miles down the road I got to thinking I have replaced the fuel shut off relay and the rubber holder was broken so I did what I could to keep it in its place. When I got to my stopping point I took the cover off and saw that the relay was loose. So, I ran to wal-mart and got some Velcro and off I went. It acted like nothing was wrong. I know now it is not electrical (nothing wrong with the ecm...wires are ok) so I think it is the relay shaking around and shut off the fuel..or the fuel pump is going out very slowly....I really don't see the fuel pump giving only one event in a ride. Does anyone know how long it takes for the relay to reset? I will post another when I ride again to see if the Velcro fixed it. If it didn't I will bi-pass the fuel pump all together.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well, I posted a thread about a year ago on this same subject. This is the 3rd time it has died going down the road like it was out of gas. I thought it was the battery at first....got a new one...didn't miss a lick for a while. ...
arkvtx -

Check for loose battery cable connections at the battery, the starter relay and the ground at the rear of the engine. If all looks good there, then check out this link. Originally posted by Bareass172
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194653
Don't ask me how I found this out before I joined the forums.

I know you said the ECM wires were good, but I'd look real closely. I checked mine several times before I finally wiggled the wires very delicately and had the bike crap out on me while idling on the sidestand.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my 07, which has no fuel pump. Mine ran, but only with the choke out, so I adjusted the AF screw, tightened the battery & ECM wires, checked all the vacuum lines. Not sure what did it, but I suspect it was running way lean.
If you adjusted your AF screw, did it by any chance fall out?
Sometimes if you get out around 3 turns, they'll just work themselves out.
if you didn't, yo may want to try going out 1/4 to 1/2 on the screw.

P

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will keep checking things....I know my air screw is still there, I haven't adjusted it. I have checked the plugs and they look ok (not lean or rich). I have taken my tank off before and I will check the vent line....I really don't think it will be the vent....stranger things have happened. Wouldn't it happen again if it was the vent line being kinked?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
arkvtx -

Check for loose battery cable connections at the battery, the starter relay and the ground at the rear of the engine. If all looks good there, then check out this link. Originally posted by Bareass172
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194653
Don't ask me how I found this out before I joined the forums.

I know you said the ECM wires were good, but I'd look real closely. I checked mine several times before I finally wiggled the wires very delicately and had the bike crap out on me while idling on the sidestand.
Listen to the man. Tighten the cables with a wrench and not a screwdriver!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Check the little green wire going into the ecm(or whatever it is called) on top of the battery , look at the harness with all the wires going into it, the little green wire is usually the one that is broke

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have checked the wire and it seems ok....I will look closer. I did use a wrench for my battery cables.

This is my thought of whats going on...what do y'all think?

As it sits on the kickstand the weight of the fuel is on the petcock side....the weight then pushes it thru (a little at a time) the fuel pump to the float bowel. That is why when it starts it takes a few seconds to catch up (just like you run it dry). Once it will hit rpm's good you can ride all day long without any issues. Now, if it was the ecm (green wire) wouldn't do it more than once during a ride (our roads are not the smoothest in the US). I know the ecm is secure but the bike itself is shaking or vibrating. Wouldn't that create a few more events during that same ride? The same thing happens everytime with no other problems...and it doesn't happen on every ride....just once and a while.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The float bowl should be full of fuel all the time. When it fills, the float pushes a needle up into the seat stopping the flow of fuel from going further and thus stopping the carb from flooding. This is normal operation. I still think your problem is fuel delivery. Have you tried a fuel filter? If you have tried the filter, bypass the fuel pump. Anyone who has had a chevy electric fuel pump go out can relate to the experience you are having. When a mechanical pump goes bad.....it's difinitively bad, the electric pumps can work great then seemingly out of the blue stop working, only to restart and perform flawless after a simple power cycle.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have checked the wire and it seems ok....I will look closer. I did use a wrench for my battery cables.

This is my thought of whats going on...what do y'all think?

As it sits on the kickstand the weight of the fuel is on the petcock side....the weight then pushes it thru (a little at a time) the fuel pump to the float bowel. That is why when it starts it takes a few seconds to catch up (just like you run it dry). Once it will hit rpm's good you can ride all day long without any issues. Now, if it was the ecm (green wire) wouldn't do it more than once during a ride (our roads are not the smoothest in the US). I know the ecm is secure but the bike itself is shaking or vibrating. Wouldn't that create a few more events during that same ride? The same thing happens everytime with no other problems...and it doesn't happen on every ride....just once and a while.
All I know is this, the same thing happend to me and I have read about it happening to others , start the bike and wiggle the wires around and see if it will cut out ,the wire might be broke inside the insulation and you cant see it, this is just my guess but i had the exact same prob and I found the wire was broke but not all the way ,the insulation was holding it together. Good luck and I hope this helps,Oh and if it is it will be broke right up against where it goes into the back of the plug.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I know what you mean there Gearhead....I have seen that before also with some of my old camaros I have. That is why I was thinking that the fuel pump had just stop giving fuel due to the shut off relay and run the float bowel dry. Then when the pump is idle (not engaged) fuel seeps past and puts enough in the carb to get it started....and once the fuel pump starts pumping again "no problems". I am going to jump the relay for a while and see if that will fix it....and I am going to check the green wire on the ecm. I do thank you all for helping me narrow it down to a few things. So far it could be three things..... 1. Green Wire 2. Fuel Pump 3. Fuel Shut off relay

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
By pass pump all together ,run a line straight from tank to carb then see if it does it, if it does it again you know its not the pump, I eliminated my pump all together just so I would not have to deal with that issue ever

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats what I am going to do....I don't know why Honda thought that they needed a fuel pump. Did you disconect the pump and the relay or just the pump? I know the needle valve is all I need and the petcock for overnight.....I just hate trying to get that damn battery box out of the way...ha ha

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Ark, let us know what you find, I also have a 2003, but luckily I have not had this happen, but I am wondering, can you just run the line right to the carb? do you really need a fuel pump? also how many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will post it as soon as I do it....no the bike can run without one (pump). In 04 they took the fuel pump out and installed a vacuum petcock. You can run a direct line but if you use the old petcock you will more than likely have to shut off the fuel for overnight. I know the old school way is let the needle valve do its job but they say to shut it off overnight to keep from flooding. My bike has 30,000......and this is the first and only problem I have ever had.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far fixed......

It was the fuel pump. I ran a direct line to the carb and haven't had a problem one yet. Sorry for the time between the posts, I just got to really test it on a half day ride due to all the rain Ark has had. Thank you all for your posts. I will let you know if I have any more problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts