Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is it to use a jetting kit if I put on a new exhaust system? Looking to put on V&H big shots on my 1300 Retro. Not real familiar whether that is a big benefit.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
How important is it to use a jetting kit if I put on a new exhaust system? Looking to put on V&H big shots on my 1300 Retro. Not real familiar whether that is a big benefit.
Moved your question to a new thread... it won't be seen by most members in a "Sticky" thread where you tagged it on.

Mort

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Don't do it!!!...

By all means, DO NOT have a jet kit installed if all you're doing is an exhaust swap...The stock airbox is very restrictive, and changing the exhaust is not gonna pull any more air through it...Dealers make fat $$ installing jet kits in bikes that don't need them, then wonder why they can't get the bike to run right afterwards, requiring the customer to bring the bike back repeatedly, and charging them more shop labor time...

·
Registered
958 Posts
All you're gonna need is to have the A/F screw adjusted out maybe a quarter turn and most likely you'll need to de-PAIR the bike if she starts popping. (On some 1300s the A/F adjustment is enough.)

But, no, re-jet isn't needed for pipes. At the absolute most maybe a shim if your bike is newer than '07, but even that isn't always required.

Wren

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
As said above, "Don't" install a jet kit when just changing the pipes. You'll just need to turn you A/F screw out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn from where it is now (or roughly 2-1/2 out from lightly seated) and you'll be all set.
You'll not only save the money for the jet kit but your bike will also run right when your done :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts