Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know what size jets to get I have a 2005 vtx1300c with cobra pipes and stock airbox the jets are stock right now as well and I'm running lean so I heard I have to ret to fix because the pipes are melting my plastic cover by the pipes

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
554 Posts
How do I know what size jets to get I have a 2005 vtx1300c with cobra pipes and stock airbox the jets are stock right now as well and I'm running lean so I heard I have to ret to fix because the pipes are melting my plastic cover by the pipes
With the stock airbox you don't need new jets. You probably only need to do the SCAR Mod. Basically you can just cut the tit on the plastic cap (allows the stock needle to go higher), then put a shim (#4 washer) under the stock needle. I'm not sure if you will have to adjust the Air/Fuel ratio screw after.

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
Scar mod is a good place to start. Try it and see what happens. It costs virtually nothing to try - only the cost of a tiny washer and a little time. If you have an IR temperature gun, measure the temperature of the pipes near the melting side cover before and after the Scar mod. Take care to ride the bike until it is thoroughly hot before measuring the pipe temperature. If this lowers the temperature significantly and the bike runs well, great, you are done. If not, then you will want to rejet fully. I recommend buying a Factory Pro stage 1 or stage 3 rejet kit. These two kits are mostly the same.

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
Also, check the exhaust flange bolts for proper tightness and leakage. One check for leakage: with the bike running, hold the lit end of a long-stemmed lighter (like a fireplace lighter) near the flange and slowly move it all around the flange looking for the flame to flicker which may indicate a leak. Did whoever installed the Cobra pipes remove the crush gaskets and replace with new?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts