Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings to all. This is my first post though I’ve followed this forum for several years. I’ve gotten some great help from searches on several subjects. I didn’t find anything that fit my backstory or findings. I have an 07 1300C that I’ve put many miles on (15K since 4/2020). Everything was great. It now has a shimmy/wobble at low speeds. Most threads talk about front end issues, however I and my pro bike mechanic friend can find nothing wrong up front. Shimmy/wobble @ less than 5 mph, gets more noticeable at increased speeds till about 30 mph then goes away. It has slowly gotten worse.
About 6 months ago I had my front & rear tires replaced. The front tire had a factory defect (got a manufacturer free replacement) that caused my front wheel bearings to fail (seals failed & slung grease). Bearings were replaced along with the tire. A shimmy/wobble was also noticeable at bearing failure but not before.
I rode the bike for a while post-repair and noticed the shimmy/wobble was still there though not as bad initially. Put miles on the bike noticing the wobble/shimmy get slowly worse. My friend and I have checked the front end. The rim/wheel is true, shaft is straight, tire is good, forks are fine, wheel bearings & races are good, brakes are good, steering head bearings were a little loose but adjusting made only a small reduction in the wobble/shimmy. We are starting to check the rear end, swing arms, wheel tire, etc. Initial checks have revealed nothing obvious. In the process of disassembly. Would appreciate any helpful feedback.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
You mention tightening the steering stem bearings but are these the stock bearings? If so, most front end wobble is caused by the very cheap stock ball bearing type bearings used in the steering stem. Replace these with needle/roller bearings from All Balls. You can find lots of info here on the Cafe for how to do this. The definitive test for wobble caused by bad steering stem bearings is to get the bike up to about 40 mph on a flat straight road. Remove your hands from the bars but keep your hands ready to grab the bars. As the bike slows, if the front end starts wobbling (i.e. the bars begin to oscillate back and forth at both an increasing frequency and amplitude, this is a near sure indication that your problem is the steering stem bearings. Of course, grab the bars before you crash but note the oscillation and that it gets worse as you slow.

Reactions: JMMRNK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings to all. This is my first post though I’ve followed this forum for several years. I’ve gotten some great help from searches on several subjects. I didn’t find anything that fit my backstory or findings. I have an 07 1300C that I’ve put many miles on (15K since 4/2020). Everything was great. It now has a shimmy/wobble at low speeds. Most threads talk about front end issues, however I and my pro bike mechanic friend can find nothing wrong up front. Shimmy/wobble @ less than 5 mph, gets more noticeable at increased speeds till about 30 mph then goes away. It has slowly gotten worse.
About 6 months ago I had my front & rear tires replaced. The front tire had a factory defect (got a manufacturer free replacement) that caused my front wheel bearings to fail (seals failed & slung grease). Bearings were replaced along with the tire. A shimmy/wobble was also noticeable at bearing failure but not before.
I rode the bike for a while post-repair and noticed the shimmy/wobble was still there though not as bad initially. Put miles on the bike noticing the wobble/shimmy get slowly worse. My friend and I have checked the front end. The rim/wheel is true, shaft is straight, tire is good, forks are fine, wheel bearings & races are good, brakes are good, steering head bearings were a little loose but adjusting made only a small reduction in the wobble/shimmy. We are starting to check the rear end, swing arms, wheel tire, etc. Initial checks have revealed nothing obvious. In the process of disassembly. Would appreciate any helpful feedback.
View attachment 243011
Just going to ask the simple question first. Most motorcycle tires will have a painted dot , or possible a letter on the sidewall. This is the manufactures way of saying this is the light area , you mount this closest to the valve stem. Has that been done , how much weight was added to balance the tires? Just a start.
Joe D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out the steering stem bearings were stock and were worn, probably from the bad tire and wheel bearings. Replaced the stock bearings with the tapered bearing mod and the wobble is gone. The bike rides smooth as silk. Joe D, as for the tire balance I use balance beads, but yes the tire mark was installed at the valve stem.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. The stock steering stem bearings did not go bad due to a bad tire and/or bad wheel bearings. They went bad because they are awful from the start, have a very short lifespan, and only belong on a bicycle. Honda cut corners on these to save a couple dollars and it was a bad decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts