Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings to all. This is my first post though I’ve followed this forum for several years. I’ve gotten some great help from searches on several subjects. I didn’t find anything that fit my backstory or findings. I have an 07 1300C that I’ve put many miles on (15K since 4/2020). Everything was great. It now has a shimmy/wobble at low speeds. Most threads talk about front end issues, however I and my pro bike mechanic friend can find nothing wrong up front. Shimmy/wobble @ less than 5 mph, gets more noticeable at increased speeds till about 30 mph then goes away. It has slowly gotten worse.
About 6 months ago I had my front & rear tires replaced. The front tire had a factory defect (got a manufacturer free replacement) that caused my front wheel bearings to fail (seals failed & slung grease). Bearings were replaced along with the tire. A shimmy/wobble was also noticeable at bearing failure but not before.
I rode the bike for a while post-repair and noticed the shimmy/wobble was still there though not as bad initially. Put miles on the bike noticing the wobble/shimmy get slowly worse. My friend and I have checked the front end. The rim/wheel is true, shaft is straight, tire is good, forks are fine, wheel bearings & races are good, brakes are good, steering head bearings were a little loose but adjusting made only a small reduction in the wobble/shimmy. We are starting to check the rear end, swing arms, wheel tire, etc. Initial checks have revealed nothing obvious. In the process of disassembly. Would appreciate any helpful feedback.
View attachment 243011
Just going to ask the simple question first. Most motorcycle tires will have a painted dot , or possible a letter on the sidewall. This is the manufactures way of saying this is the light area , you mount this closest to the valve stem. Has that been done , how much weight was added to balance the tires? Just a start.
Joe D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts