Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the JTD Lowers on today…….There a great product, fairly simple to install. The fit and finish I would give a 8 out of 10. They will need to be painted even if your bike is Black. Mine had a slight imperfection in the finish from the mold but I knew that going in.

They can be easily installed two different ways either inside the bar or outside the bar depending on the look your going with.

I have a 02 “C” Model and the right side lower I hade to do some trimming to get it to fit with the brake master assembly see pictures.

Took her out and rode the bike at 100+ (yea I know I over test everything)……there was no movement and the had zero rattle. Not that I will hear anything like that with the new stereo going but ….. anyway it does change the air flow around the bike and it actually felt a bit more stable to me at higher speeds, I noticed a change in the wind dynamics of the bike when I installed the hard bags and this seemed to fix it for me. YMMV.

I ordered mine with the BIG BOX’S” I already had enough speakers. These are great little storage containers for the bike, like gloves, smokes, lighter, registration and insurance papers, things like that or could even be used for other things like modification locations and such. They lock which is good and they are very solid construction I would give them a 10 out of 10.

Now here is the bad if you can call it that….the Big Boxes are designed to be installed with RTV Silicon to the lower fairing. “OK” so I am anal and hand the vision of seeing one of these come of at 75 mph and bounce down the road hitting something or loosing it.

So I went into “I can do it better” mode, I actually went to Ace and got some black metric bolts 5x20 and 5x30 and bolted mine on. You can see where I drilled holes into the side and into the top where the small plastic retainers go into the fairing pieces and now the box. It worked perfect. You can use chrome or stainless or be creative.

The big boxes have to be removable so you can uninstall the lowers if you are doing any work to the bike. Plus you have to install the trim around the edges of the lowers before you install the boxes.

Make sure you have plenty of zip ties to trial fit and such, also it is much easier to install the rubber trim around the vent holes if you first heat it up in the oven.

Make sure you have them installed the way you want before you paint, test fit and retest. The fit is tight and you will not want to take a chance in messing the finish up when you have them painted.

I like mine 9 out of 10 for them. There a great product and give the bike a good look if you ask me. Plus I can see the function with rain and such being very good as well as deflecting the wind in the winter time.
[FONT=&quot]If you guys have any questions please ask.

It the kit...I added the screws and nylon spacers.

Where the spacers go!

Holes I added to the Big Boxes.

Another Pic of the spacers I got from Ace and the screws.

Where I trimmed to fit the right side.

Test fitting and showing how the inner is attached.

Trim around the vent hole.

these holes are already in the inner and out pieces, this is where you would normally install the two plastic rivets. I used screws.

Right side installed.

Screw I put on the inside of the fairings to hold the side of the Big Box.

Bolt position for the fairings to the bar, probably going to put a acorn nut on later for looks.

Big Box before I drilled the holes for the screws.

the finished product!!!!
[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
nice work and on the bag mount too..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys........and thanks Alien its not exactly like yours but the concept is the same......couldn't have done it with out your help on the bags.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice, winter is kicking in hard here in Australia, it would of been great having these on rather than my thermals, jeans, and wet weather pants and it still shrivelled up into another belly button!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts