Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the JTD Hard Lowers (Lower Fairings for Highway Bars). I have seen very little posted about these. I am curious if anyone has any experience with them, any pros, cons etc.

If you have them, photos would be great! I am also curious what type of highway bars you may have.

Here is a link to the product: http://www.jtdcycleparts.net/index.html

Thanks,

M-2

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I have a set and love them. I got the big glove bow and mounted a 5.25" speaker in them, not sure if the speakers added anything to the sound, but looks cool. I have some pics before the speakers, will try and post them. As far as negative, I noticed the my boot hits the lowers every now and then, thats about it. I would highly recommend getting them. Check the link before, this is the bike. Will try and get new ones with speakers.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/77256-Time-to-share-my-bike

·
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pics. Do your front signals come close to them while you have the bars at full turn?

I did read that a lot of guys had to do some trimming to put them on the Cobra Fatty's. I have the standard Cobra Bars, so I'm crossing my fingers that I wouldnt have to.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I did not trim a thing, and was very happy with the way they looked. As far as the turn signal, I think it just touches, but not much. I did not adjust anything with the signals.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I have a set in a box in the garage that came off this bike.....

Hoss37 bought the bike and hated the lowers, so I ended up with them...Going to get the speaker boxes and get them painted this winter and get the trunk re-painted, as the guy that did it (Tracy Keck) did a HORRIBLE job on it....:mad:

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,708 Posts

Hoss37 bought the bike and hated the lowers, so I ended up with them...Going to get the speaker boxes and get them painted this winter and get the trunk re-painted, as the guy that did it (Tracy Keck) did a HORRIBLE job on it....:mad:
Can't be hoss's bike, it has no purple. :nope:

·
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the pics. Those look like the fatty bars. I'm thinking I should be good to go, I have the standard cobra bars. I am curious, however, how much clearance do you need between the floorboard and the bars? I am also curious how the bottom is secured to the bar, by the floorboard.

Sent from somewhere in the deep East Texas Piney Woods using Tapatalk

·
Curmudgeon at Large
8,365 Posts
Bill,

Do you like those lowers? I'm looking at them too but need some opinions.
Glad Hoss gave that ugly bike away. All that thing needs is to paint the fairing red and hang a string out the back....

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Bill,

Do you like those lowers? I'm looking at them too but need some opinions.
Glad Hoss gave that ugly bike away. All that thing needs is to paint the fairing red and hang a string out the back....
They're still in the box...Haven't mounted them on my ride yet, still need some fast blue paint on 'em...

·
Curmudgeon at Large
8,365 Posts
I wanna know what they do for buffeting. I have the chrome lowers on the forks and they work really well but I've liked those since I saw them.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,708 Posts
I wanna know what they do for buffeting. I have the chrome lowers on the forks and they work really well but I've liked those since I saw them.
Ask Gastin they have them... :)

Personally I'm thinking leather so I can remove.

·
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ask Gastin they have them... :)

Personally I'm thinking leather so I can remove.
I talked to the owner today. What a guy. He chatted like we were long lost buds. Really great guy. He answered all my questions, and then some I didn't think of asking. If I remember right, these are removable, just not as quick as the leather or synthetic type, and obviously not as storable. He also said the VTX community comprises about 45% of his sales.

Sent from somewhere in the deep East Texas Piney Woods using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I really think they improve on the buffeting. There was also a lot of small things that they helped on. First, when the roads are we I normally don't pull out the rain gear, well the lowers keep my legs dry. On colder days keep the legs warmer. On the flip side, on hot says they can be warm. They can be removed quickly if you would like, but you will destroy the plastic rivets you use to hold the pieces together. Once I got them on my bike I felt like they were alright, then I added the glove box and I felt they were meant for my bike. I am very happy with them, and will not remove them.

·
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I ordered a set. I didnt order the glove box yet. i want to run them a while and see how I like them first before I paint or spend any more money on them. I think I'll love them in the winter, but, may end up removing during the summer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts