Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
July 29, 2012 - Polk County Mines, Lakes & Groves (ML&G) Ride

+++++ Updated ++++++

This ride is now scheduled for July 29th. Hope to see a bunch of riders there!

Hey everybody, how about a nice relaxing tour of Polk and Highlands counties on nearly deserted, mostly country roads? I've been working on a nice long loop through central Polk County from the mines to the ridge and I'd really enjoy some Cafe company.

The loop is about 124 miles (plus travel to/from your house) and because there are a couple of food stops in there, it should take around 4-5 hours to complete. I bet you will enjoy this one.

I have put in 2 food (extended break) stops for your enjoyment. The first one is in Avon Park at Taqueria Merlo where they have really good, cheap, home made, AUTHENTIC Mexican food. I always grab a bunch of Tamales to take home when I'm there. The second food stop is at the local institution; Cherry Pocket! A dozen steamed (or half shell) oysters and a cool adult beverage await you there!

There are plenty of gas stations along the way and even a couple of good "bail out" spots to get you outta there if you have to leave early (hope not).

So, I'm thinking, let's meet at the McDonalds in Bartow located at the corner of Old Bartow/Eagle Lake Road and North Broadway (1470 North Broadway Avenue, Bartow). If we meet @ 8:30 and roll @ 9:00 everyone can have a chance to get a little breakfast.

Another thought that I've had is that since I have only ridden a few times with the Cafe, I'm not married to the idea that I have to be the ride leader. I know the route and I will not get us lost but would really prefer if someone would let me learn the ride leader responsibilities from them. So, if you are interested in leading the ride with directional help from me then please let me know.

Here is the technical stuff:

The route is here:
http://goo.gl/maps/1xvW

I also have a couple of .GPX files of the route that I'll be happy to email to you if you are interested. One of them is a "track" for MotionX GPS for those using MotionX. The other is a route file which should be able to be imported into a Garmin GPS.

I guess that's it. Hope to see you on Sunday, July 29th! Any questions please feel free to PM or call me (757-663-1682).

Jim

Attending
gatorjim
Mullet863
Glennt269 (depensif)
Amos Moses

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
I'm tentatively in, trying to sell a few things to get some money together. As of right now, pencil me in, and I'll be more than happy to lead the ride, or help you lead it, as I seem to have become our defacto ride captain for some reason.

With the .gpx file is there a android app I can use to navigate with it? I currently use Waze and love it, but don't know how to upload a .gpx file, and I remember you talking about using custom maps last time we rode.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chris,

I sure hope you can come out. Like I said, I'll get the steamers and a cool one! And I'd like to talk with you about the West Virginia trip. I might be interested in going.

As far as the GPX goes, since I'm using an iPhone I'm not versed in the Android arena. I do know that the app I use, MotionX is an iPhone/iPad only app so no help to you there.

I have Waze and yes, it's a cool app but I just updated it and it keeps crashing so I can't check it out. I'm gonna try and re-install it to see if it will run and then I'll take a look to see if it will import a track.

I did find a website called AlternateTo that has a list of apps that are comparable to one another. I noticed that most are either FREE or low cost. If you check out the apps listed there, go to the app's website and look for a feature that allows import of routes or tracks or GPX data. I bet you can get a good one that does it for free.

Here is the link: http://alternativeto.net/software/motionx-gps/

Hope to see you on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
Jim, will you go ahead and e-mail me the .gpx file and I can start playing with trying to find an app that will import it? My e-mail is [email protected]

Love to have you along for the WV ride, looking at the map for Saturday's ride just give me the giggles! More curves in 1 mile than I see in 2 months in Florida! I'm doing my best to be able to make it, should be able to swing it, I've posted several things on Craigslist that I need to get rid of and if I can get 1 of them to sell I'll be good for the ride. I'll talk to you soon!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Looks like a great. It's a bit of a haul for the people in Tampa bay area. ?? See what I can do. Other thing it's like 50 to 60% chance of rain

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a great. It's a bit of a haul for the people in Tampa bay area. ?? See what I can do. Other thing it's like 50 to 60% chance of rain
Yeah, a bit of a haul. We will be in your neck of the woods next week. I'm starting to get a little concerned about the potential for rain. We need the rain so desperately that I hope is does rain, Sunday NIGHT! I don't put much faith in weather predictions more than 3 days out though. If it's looking like it's gonna get us then I'll call it Saturday evening.

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
I don't want to hear that the north riders can't do the distance! Lol

?BuYA!
Amen Alex, I did nearly 700 miles one way for a ride two weekends ago, these tampa boys can ride 50 miles?

You can do it Glenn I believe in you!

Sent from atop a honey pot in the 100 acre woods.

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
I'm just gonna pack my rain gear!
Rain gear? What's that? Pam and Bob are on the fence but Im trying to get them to come.

·
Blessed beyond belief!!!
1,062 Posts
I has this ride on my radar until the weather reports popped up. It's looks nasty....Chris, I'm still aiming to be up there on the 13th of next month...A little adult time with the wife....Don't know about riding the bike up since it's just the two of us and I HIGHLY doubt she'd ride with me...Will keep you updated...
Good luck on the ride fellas

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I has this ride on my radar until the weather reports popped up. It's looks nasty....Chris, I'm still aiming to be up there on the 13th of next month...A little adult time with the wife....Don't know about riding the bike up since it's just the two of us and I HIGHLY doubt she'd ride with me...Will keep you updated...
Good luck on the ride fellas
Thanks Albert. It's starting to look more and more like a big rain event. I'm crossing everything I have that it stays away.

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
Thanks Albert. It's starting to look more and more like a big rain event. I'm crossing everything I have that it stays away.

Who knows a "no- rain" dance? 80% as of now.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Have been trying to rearrange things to make this but still have to work all weekend and will probably miss next weekends to.(some times I no like being only electrician at work)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, as much as I hate to do it, I think we need to throw in the towel on this ride. We will just have to do it later. I guess now I have time to put those Kury grips and National Lowers on my girl!

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
Well, as much as I hate to do it, I think we need to throw in the towel on this ride. We will just have to do it later. I guess now I have time to put those Kury grips and National Lowers on my girl!
Jim I hate to agree on calling sir, but we'll definitely do it another weekend, thats a route that needs to be ridden!

You'll love the lowers I just added some to my bike while I was in SC and they make a huge difference. If you want to chat about WV just give me a call or we could maybe even ride and meetup somewhere this week. If not I'll see you next weekend.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chris, I'm gonna make a .GPX for your West Coast ride. I wonder if you could do a google map route for the Green Swamp Ride and the route to Webster? If you can I'll make .GPX's for both of them. I have seen the graphic files of the swamp rout but it does not have enough zoom to see all of the roads.

Were you able to find an app that will load the .GPX files?

I'll give you a call for sure. I'd like to go for a ride during the week if you have some free time. Maybe lunch somewhere?

Jim

·
Village Idiot
1,751 Posts
Chris, I'm gonna make a .GPX for your West Coast ride. I wonder if you could do a google map route for the Green Swamp Ride and the route to Webster? If you can I'll make .GPX's for both of them. I have seen the graphic files of the swamp rout but it does not have enough zoom to see all of the roads.

Were you able to find an app that will load the .GPX files?

I'll give you a call for sure. I'd like to go for a ride during the week if you have some free time. Maybe lunch somewhere?

Jim
I can definitely do lunch, Im open Monday and Wednesday and Friday as of right now.

I found an app that supposedly will handle a gpx file but Im going to have to load it onto my phone manually, for some reason Gmail doesn't want to let me download the file onto my phone.

I'll get working on the green swamp and Webster this afternoon, although I have my kid all day, so it may be tomorrow until I get to it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts