Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if $350.00 is too much from a reputable shop for a valve adjustment, oil change, spark plugs changed and carb adjusted? I am fairly mechanical but just don't have the time to do it. It doesn't sound that bad to me. 07 vtx 1300c just over 8k miles its time for the recommended service.
Thanks

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Yeah that's high....I'd do all that for around $200...But I'm a small shop, without all the dealer overhead....

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you really don't have the time, and you can afford it, and the shop will definitely do the work right, then go for it. If you aren't sure, then do it yourself and save the $$. None of the things you mentioned are that difficult, and you will have a better feel for your bike when you are done. I question whether you need a carb adjust with 6K miles - just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has just over 8k on it now. Bike flooded on me at bikes blues and bbq's had to choke it to start and when i pushed it back in bike died had to wait an hour to get it started.
I smell gas in the exhaust when idling.

·
33,457 Posts
It has just over 8k on it now. Bike flooded on me at bikes blues and bbq's had to choke it to start and when i pushed it back in bike died had to wait an hour to get it started.
I smell gas in the exhaust when idling.
What mods have been done to the carb??...:hmm2:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what mods have been done I bought it used. Which is why I was considering a stage 1 jet kit. That is the first time it did that. I was thinking fouled plugs? I just don't want to get ripped off. I don't mind paying for necessary maintenace if it's not overpriced.

·
33,457 Posts
I don't know what mods have been done I bought it used. Which is why I was considering a stage 1 jet kit. That is the first time it did that. I was thinking fouled plugs? I just don't want to get ripped off. I don't mind paying for necessary maintenace if it's not overpriced.
Stage 1 jet kit???...If you mean Dynojet, save your $$..Not worth the packaging it comes in...Did you buy the bike used with the pipes already on it??..If so, it probably already has that crap jet kit in it...Dealers make fat $$ off that junk kit, then more $$ from successive visits back to the shop to get the bike to run right...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's high....I'd do all that for around $200...But I'm a small shop, without all the dealer overhead....
If I was closer I'd be there.

Stage 1 jet kit???...If you mean Dynojet, save your $$..Not worth the packaging it comes in...Did you buy the bike used with the pipes already on it??..If so, it probably already has that crap jet kit in it...Dealers make fat $$ off that junk kit, then more $$ from successive visits back to the shop to get the bike to run right...
Yes it had the pipes when I bought it. I don't know a lot about the jet kits or which one is better. This is a small dealer here in tulsa. Brookside motorcycle company . Kinetic playground the shop is owned by the same guy . Maybe I'll just change the plugs and see if it runs better?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Okie, I'm right here in Owasso, we could get together and do all that in an afternoon!! And I won't charge near that much:patriot:Maybe a couple a beers.:)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okie, I'm right here in Owasso, we could get together and do all that in an afternoon!! And I won't charge near that much:patriot:Maybe a couple a beers.:)
That would be awesome I'll even buy 6% from the liquor store! Plus I would have to give you cash I just would not feel right.

·
33,457 Posts
If I was closer I'd be there.

Yes it had the pipes when I bought it. I don't know a lot about the jet kits or which one is better. This is a small dealer here in tulsa. Brookside motorcycle company . Kinetic playground the shop is owned by the same guy . Maybe I'll just change the plugs and see if it runs better?
With just a pipe change, you're best off with the stock jets Honda put in the carb from the factory...But it sounds like somebody already screwed it up with an unneccesary jet kit...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Was gonna go to the Cancer Sucks car and bike show at the Admiral Twin drive-in this weekend, but if you are free and want to do it let me know, send me a PM with phone # and we'll set up a time and discuss details.

Jake

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was gonna go to the Cancer Sucks car and bike show at the Admiral Twin drive-in this weekend, but if you are free and want to do it let me know, send me a PM with phone # and we'll set up a time and discuss details.

Jake
It doesn't have to be this weekend. I was thinking about going to that myself. I'll pm you Thanks

With just a pipe change, you're best off with the stock jets Honda put in the carb from the factory...But it sounds like somebody already screwed it up with an unneccesary jet kit...
Thanks Bill I appreciate the info. Guess I'll look into that and get the right stuff.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you are going to ride the X, and don't mind a tag along, let me know. Put some fresh Champions in her and see if that helps.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are going to ride the X, and don't mind a tag along, let me know. Put some fresh Champions in her and see if that helps.
Got her running like a champ with factory pro jet kit, bak big air, pair valve removal and new plugs. Let me know I have a couple locals with x's that want to ride this weekend. Always room for more

1 - 15 of 15 Posts