Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a hour or so of reading on here I decided it was time to drill out my stock pipes. Got out the hole saw and went and bought a 12 inch 1/2 drill bit. Success the back plate was easy and put three holes in the back one. Sounds great but I really wanted to go for a fourth but I do like where it's at. Went and rode for about a hour no popping backfire or anything, I was a little worried about that but all is well loving this site!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it will just hold me over but I have to have surgery and cash is low and I was off today so I tried it out. I have looked at the vtxexhaust.com but I want some longshots if i do..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Samson pipes are pretty sweet. Just saying. :) I had my pipes drilled for a week before I wanted a new set of pipes.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I have stock pipes and I don't have the $$$ for new pipes. Will drilling open the sound?
Yes, but the pipes that are on the N are a lot more involved, because of the type of end caps on the pipes.
There is a thread on here somewhere about the procedure for the N pipes.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Well after a hour or so of reading on here I decided it was time to drill out my stock pipes. Got out the hole saw and went and bought a 12 inch 1/2 drill bit. Success the back plate was easy and put three holes in the back one. Sounds great but I really wanted to go for a fourth but I do like where it's at. Went and rode for about a hour no popping backfire or anything, I was a little worried about that but all is well loving this site!!!
I'm totally confused! :confused:

:hmm2:Unless you mis-described your bike, you have a 2009 VTX1300, correct?

That's the same as mine and several others here. That means you have the newer streamlined "O2 tank" type stock exhaust pipes. You don't drill any multi-holes like the older fat flat & slash-cut versions had to (that's called a Clayton Mod).

All YOU need to do is take a metal Hole Saw and cut out the ENTIRE back plate (that's called a Hole Saw Mod). Just two holes...one for each pipe to remove the back plate and resonator and a single unit. That's it. Nothing more to do. The resonator just falls out with the bake plate and your done, over...et fine'!

The whole thing for both pipes, including painting the inside of the now fully open exhaust, is all over in about 20 minutes, 30 if you're sipping beer.

What in the heck is this "put three holes" and "wanted to go for a fourth" business?!! :kidding:

90% (I made that up, but it's most of us) of those who do the Hole Saw mod NEVER change out our pipes, ESPECIALLY on the 1300's, because the final sound is pretty awesome!

:choppersm

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cage I did remove the the back plate and baffle, there is another plate deeper inside that I drilled the three holes in. I did the straight pipe crap mod on the x and love it so all is well in the world...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Popping / Back firing
I keep noticing riders making reference to back firing, leaning out the FI by doing exhaust mods... Here's my take. There is popping and backfiring going on inside your stock exhausts. You'd never know it due to all the internal baffles... Removing back pressure from your engine doesn't make the FI to lean or rich. The FI system doesn't know you changed the exhaust. All bikes come from the factory running rich. (the oil guys wouldn't have it any other way) The stock exhaust hides this fact.

This popping, or back firing is caused by excessive fuel being injected into the cylinder head. When to much fuel is present, it doesn't get completely burned. It enters the exhaust where it is hot and ignites, causing the popping / backfiring. Remove to much baffling material and you will hear what has always been there. Power Commanders and various other FI systems lean out the fuel to stop the popping / back firing. Notice how the inside of the exhaust systems get black, blows black smoke when you get on it. A properly dynoed FI system can significantly reduce that black smoke when romping on the throttle, while eliminating that annoying exhaust fuel ignition. I hope this paints a better picture for understanding what is transpiring inside the stock exhaust system. Ride safe!

·
Riding For Christ
57 Posts
Cage,
I was thinking of taking out the baffle on my pipes as well to make the bike (2008 VTX1300T , all STOCK exhaust and everything else) a little louder. Is there a link on here that shows how to do that?
I basically want my stock Pipes a little louder but not ear shattering. Is this is a wise thing to do?? Will it affect air/fuel ratio or change gas mileage?

Thanks.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,740 Posts
Cage has not posted here on the Cafe in a long time (more than a year) so it is unlikely he will answer your inquiry. In addition, this thread is over two years old since the post prior to yours. I know nothing about drilling pipes so I cannot help you directly. I would advise that you post a new thread in the VTX1300 subforum and ask about Clayton vs. hole saw mods and whatever else you wish to know. I"m betting that someone will be able to help you.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may want to consider having these guys work their magic on your exhaust at half the cost of new pipes.
http://vtxexhaust.com/pipegallery/pipes.php
MrBill, Thank you for posting a link to these guys! I'm going to have to check them out. It's a bonus that they are only about a 1.5 hours drive from me. -- I've been looking at new pipes for my VTX to gain some grumble, but I'm just not sure they would look as good on my bike being that the hard bags are basically fitted to the stock exhaust. This gets me the best of both. Thank you, Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Ride... :)

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak
1 - 15 of 15 Posts