Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I just got a 2006 VTX 1300R with 50k miles on it, vance and hines longshot pipes
The owner had passed and his friend took it over for a short time, the manual has really good service notes that he did and it seems that he changed oil, filter and plugs every 4k miles for the bikes entire life

The guy who had it said he cleaned the carb and changed the petcock to the tank and no issues with it

I went to the house to see it, it fired up, I rode it around and bought it,,,,I have been riding the bike around town for 3 days, not much maybe 15mi a day

The other day, I was close to home and it started sputtering and hesitating and stalled out, I chocked it, it came back on, then slowly died out again
So heres what I have done so far,,,,,oil looked good, changed 1k mi ago,,,,coolant levels look good,,,,Took bottom float bowl off, there was some sediment in bowl, cleaned and inspected jets and passages, clean with carb cleaner,,,,,,,,removed and inspected fuel petcock, drained tank,,,,,I have not replaced plugs or really inspected them, it said valve adjment was at 16k miles, it now has 50k

Bike will start and idle, throttle rips loud, but sounds kind of lean with some tinny sounds and popping (just my guess)
I let it idle but something sounds off with the idle, gallopy, lean, somthing just sounds off to me,,,,but throttle response rips, touchy and strong

Pop in it gear, get about 500ft, it starts to sputter and hesitate then stalls out and wont start again till later

It has the V&H Longshots,,,main jet is 185 and pilot is 55

why would it ride fine for 3 days then just sputter and stall all of a sudden?

My guess so far is that maybe its not tuned or jetted properly, maybe too small main jet? Maybe air fuel mix off? Vaccum leak?

Any ideas you guys can give me or some direction as to what to do next would be great, Id love to get back on this thing!

TY all
Thedaydreamer

·
Registered
40 Posts
check your carb vacuum slider rubber for pin holes and make sure the notch is set correctly when installing it back in carb. Make sure cap is also positioned correctly or you get a vacuum leak that sounds like your problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
today I did some more testing
each plug has spark
and getting 180psi or so at each cylinder
replaced petcock

if I spray carb clean into the open airbox body, it starts for a sec, then cuts off, no rev, no nothing, just cuts off

now Im back to the notion that its not getting fuel, I went over that carb with a fine tooth comb, and nearly certain its not that, but I could be in error

today I noticed that upon throttle turn, the nipple in the carb was not spraying via acclerator pump, however it was yesterday and having the same issues

how do I know for sure if the carb is getting gas?

TY

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
Is the carb float bowl full of fuel? If so, it is not a lack of gas from the petcock causing your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts