Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just purchased another motorcycle. I have always wanted a Honda VTX and when the motorcycle shop was selling one with only 8000 miles on it, I just couldn't pass it up. I have been doing research on these bikes and they're great. It was a great comfortable ride home. We will be going away for a week and a half though and was wondering something. I found an owners manual online for a 2004 model and figure there would not be much difference (correct me if I am wrong though). I do have a couple of questions to keep the bike in smooth running condition.

1. It mentioned to leave the Emergency shut-off switch to the on position, while the bike is parked. If the bike will be sitting for a week and a half, would I still leave the shut-off switch on or should I turn it off for a week?

I ask that because my previous bike which I am going to sell is a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and I turned the shut-off switch off every time the bike was off but I understand this to be a different type of engine.

2. Anything else I should keep in mind for letting the bike sit that length of time? I imagine around winter time in TN, I may have to do something similar.

Best,

Kev

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I've never heard of leaving the red kill switch in the on position. I would have to scour the wiring diagram to determine if this causes anything to be powered on when the key is off but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I also wonder why the kill switch should be left on as it doesn't make sense to me. As long as the ignition key is off, I would think there would be no power anywhere except perhaps it is to avoid the kill switch going bad after awhile by constantly using it.

Another question is should the gas be turned to the Off position when the bike is parked. As it can be On, Off, or Reserve. I read online that most people seem to always turn the gas switch off when finished riding for the day. I never had a bike that had one so not sure but I'm pretty certain the gas should be turned off for a week and a half though if it's not being ridden.

Best,

Kev

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For years I kill my bike when I put the kickstand down. I then reach down and turn the key off. When the key is in the off position, there is nothing powered based on stock wiring. In regards to the fuel valve, I never turn it off. The only action it gets is going to reserve while riding and to off if I’m removing the tank.

If you keep the maintenance done, the bike will give you many trouble free miles of enjoyment. Resist the urge to fix what is not broken.

Ride safe sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
With a proper functioning petcock, it is NOT necessary to turn the petcock to the off position. The petcock is vacuum activated and, when functioning properly, will not let fuel through unless the bike is running and thus providing a vacuum to the petcock. However, there are loads of posts about failed petcocks and you should keep an eye on yours.

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
OK Kevin, 10 years with the VTX and I have never turned the kill switch off except a couple of times to insure that the switch was working. The only reason I can see to turn it off is if the bike goes down to kill the ignition so the bike doesn't
keep running when the oil might not be covering the pick up tube. As far as the petcock is concerned the only reason I can see to turn it off is if you need to remove the tank or work on the vacuum diaphragm while there is fuel in the tank! Other than that I never turn it off either!!!! As far as anything else is concerned, when ever the bike is being stored for the winter, add one oz. of Seafoam per gallon to the tank and be sure to fill the tank just before storing the bike for the winter, be sure to run the engine with the Seafoam in it long enough to get the Seafoam into the carb to protect the entire fuel system prior to winter storage!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nobody mentioned the steering bearings. If the OP doesn't know about them, might want to check that out. The oem bearings are garbage and everybody changes them. There are tons of posts on it here. Let us know if you have info on the steering bearings. If they were done or if you even asked if they were done after doing your research. You'll know if they were done when riding it. Other than that, it's a Honda. Just ride it.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
I guess I am different than most and use the kill switch for no other reason than I have always done it. As to the petcock, the only time I turn it is when I switch to reserve and back again. Long storage times I will add stabil to the tank and then top the tank off with fuel and ride home. Doing this I know the stabil will reach the carb. Put it on a trickle charger and leave it til spring.

Reactions: SPARKY5151

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
The reason that I don't use the kill switch is that it is too easy to kill the engine with the kill switch and then forget to turn the ignition switch off, and with the headlight and class / tail lights on you can kill the battery really quick. One less thing to worry about!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I never use the kill switch and I always turn the petcock off. I used the kill switch once and when I went to start my bike I forgot I used it and started to wonder what was wrong. It is a good idea to turn the petcock off especially if you plan on leaving parked for a period of time it keeps fuel from flooding the carbs and seeping into the cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Fuel will only do as you describe if the carb float valve fails. Still, a failed float valve is not unheard of so your advice for long-term storage is good.

Reactions: SPARKY5151

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all,

I just purchased another motorcycle. I have always wanted a Honda VTX and when the motorcycle shop was selling one with only 8000 miles on it, I just couldn't pass it up. I have been doing research on these bikes and they're great. It was a great comfortable ride home. We will be going away for a week and a half though and was wondering something. I found an owners manual online for a 2004 model and figure there would not be much difference (correct me if I am wrong though). I do have a couple of questions to keep the bike in smooth running condition.

1. It mentioned to leave the Emergency shut-off switch to the on position, while the bike is parked. If the bike will be sitting for a week and a half, would I still leave the shut-off switch on or should I turn it off for a week?

I ask that because my previous bike which I am going to sell is a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and I turned the shut-off switch off every time the bike was off but I understand this to be a different type of engine.

2. Anything else I should keep in mind for letting the bike sit that length of time? I imagine around winter time in TN, I may have to do something similar.

Best,

Kev
I’ve got the same year and bike as you. What set up are you running? I’ve got the Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Cobra pipes, and I’m about to install factory pro jet kit soon as I can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts