Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i got rearended once, i was slowing down from a roll on race with a "friend". Dear "friend" just hit my footpeg, i was doing maybe 70, and i was instant down. Sliding on my hands and knees watching my bike send up a shower of sparks. Ended up with my head about 12 inches from concrete curb..now here is where it gets freaky...a lady sees the whole thing, i had gotten up, dragged my bike out of the street and am sitting on curb looking at my hands, knees, etc...lady pulls out a bottle of vodka, swear to God, she says oh you poor boy...well, i was only 23, and pours it all over me where i was torn up. Yeeow! Then she drives me to a hospital, i get scrubbed, bandaged, cleaned.She drives me back to my bike, i whack the front wheel against a pole to straighten the front wheel and bars out. drive home where my pregnant wife faints as i walk into the apartment. the "friend" married my wife a year later after we got divorced. Strange but true. :cheers:

ps, marrying my ex wife was a big favor to me.
pps "friend died a month ago, ex wife married another friend of mine. This is all true, i couldnt make it up. :D

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
You're right, you couldn't make it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
that vid shows for a fact you need to look where you want to go.

I go to a rally up on the Snake river and every year there are several bikes go over the cliffs in the turns and it isn't caused by speed it is caused by the scenic views and getting distracted by them.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
that vid shows for a fact you need to look where you want to go.

I go to a rally up on the Snake river and every year there are several bikes go over the cliffs in the turns and it isn't caused by speed it is caused by the scenic views and getting distracted by them.
That is a costly mistake!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Toy runs bring a lot of bikes with way too many people that only ride a few times a year, it can be a bad mix.
The one in St.Pete Sunday had over 1800 bikes, and rain that morning too, luckily no incidents there.
Great cause, but be careful.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I didn't do the ride this year, but a number of our group did.

These guys are coming out from underneath a bridge with a crowd on it (that's where the video is being shot from.) The crowd is waving and apparently many of the riders were "looking up and waving back". This could explain why the first bike is out of position and heading for the hard shoulder, but having watched it a couple of times, I think he is deliberately heading right because he's realized he's too close to the bike in front because the stagger formation has collapsed. But no argument that the second bike is unaware and following too fast. Just before the impact, the second bike grabs a handful of brake (see the little puffs of smoke?) and the bike goes down towards the right, and into the first bike.

There's a lack of attention and the wrong reaction from the second bike. There is space all around him but he doesn't see any of the possible exits. It's a good example of what can happen when you are not concentrating.

I hope they are all OK. I'll leave the helmet comment alone, but the last two accidents I've heard of recently have both been "low speed around town". Ride safe guys and have a good Christmas!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts