Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I last filled up the key got stuck in the gas cap. I was almost stuck at the gas station. After I got home I tried the key to remove the gas cap and it again stuck in the gas cap. An I going to need to buy a new gas cap or what?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did that

Tried spraying oil into the key opening before I tried the second time and it still stuck again. After what seemed like hours I got the key out. I guess I'm going to have to carry two key now.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Tried spraying oil into the key opening before I tried the second time and it still stuck again. After what seemed like hours I got the key out. I guess I'm going to have to carry two key now.
Same thing happened to me after I got my tank back from the painter and tried to put the gas cap back on the tank....

The key would not come out...it would only come out after I played with the spring on the bottom of the cap...it seemed to keep "hanging up"....

I just put the cap on the tank and pressed down hard enough to get it to "release" the key....did these about 5 times and it solved the problem...no issues since...

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
301 Posts

I've never had a problem with my Key sticking in the Gas Cap, Fork Lock, or Helment Lock. BUT, I ALWAYS carry two keys. One key I keep single, and that is the one I use in the ignition. My other key is on a key ring with my House Key. If I ever had to use it, I'd take it off the keyring though. 1/ I wouldn't want other keys dangling, and rubbing/scratching crome. 2/ Don't like the idea of the extra weight of Key(s) dangling from the ignition.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

·
TK-1620
21 Posts
Same thing happened to me second time I filled up after buying my X. I thought I broke it. Press down hard on both side and if the key does twist back around on it's own, alternate pressure slightly on either side of the cap and the key should pop over. WD-40 sounds like a good idea... mind the paint ;)

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Same thing happened to me second time I filled up after buying my X. I thought I broke it. Press down hard on both side and if the key does twist back around on it's own, alternate pressure slightly on either side of the cap and the key should pop over. WD-40 sounds like a good idea... mind the paint ;)
WD-40 won't hurt the paint...:nope:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
WD40 is not a lube and should not be used as such

When the solvents in it evap the crap is real gummy and will cause more problems.

A drop of motor oil is a better choice
Good tip Charlie D....will remember that...

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
:hmm2: Consider this: Try both keys, is there a difference?

Other than that, it does take a lot of pressure to get the key to return to where it belongs. :confused: Thought it was just my bike but in a way, I'm glad I'm not alone in that.... Though, my key never truly got stuck. A few times I thought it was but harsh pressure "fixed" it. :banghead:

·
IBA #37750
1,813 Posts
I've never had a problem with my Key sticking in the Gas Cap, Fork Lock, or Helment Lock. BUT, I ALWAYS carry two keys. One key I keep single, and that is the one I use in the ignition. My other key is on a key ring with my House Key. If I ever had to use it, I'd take it off the keyring though. 1/ I wouldn't want other keys dangling, and rubbing/scratching crome. 2/ Don't like the idea of the extra weight of Key(s) dangling from the ignition.
+1...I always carry a spare with me anytime I'm on my bike. If I'm riding a great distance, my ignition key (knob) gets hot and I can't get it out of the ignition when I stop for gas.:banghead: That's where the spare comes in real handy.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I've had a few problems lately but it's just been that I haven't pushed down hard enough to make the cap lock....I've been lazy and I know that's the problem. I simply push down on the cap harder and the problem is solved.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I always have a spare key for the ignition and one for my bags in my wallet. That way I can lose my hole set of keys and still continue my trip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts