Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whos' got one? Any good? Do you have to subscribe to a service to get books? Any info would be appreciated. Thinking of getting an eReader for my Father. Can you get news papers on them as well??? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I don't use the actual hardware. As I always have some type of laptop or netbook with me, I installed their free software on those and then pull down the books to them.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

·
Where am I?
512 Posts
Ipad rules! I bought one the day it came out. My wife rolled her eyes. Its now the most used electronic device in my house and everyone uses it! We got my mom one for mothers day and she uses it all the time. She prefers it over using computers (I think she's scared of messing stuff up on a computer personally) Apple is doing good deals on referb models also...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
We bought my mom the 3G version of the Kindle for Xmas. I didn't want to worry about her having to find a wi-fi spot, and then having trouble connecting. IMO, the extra $50 for 3G was worth it. She can now connect anytime anywhere, in over 100 countries (of which she will only be in 1 anyways :banghead:). There are no additional connection fees. Once you get on the Kindle store, you will be amazed at how many books are either free or under $3.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I went with a Nook over a kindle. The Kindle has too much DRM for me.

The Baen free library and Project Guttenberg are two good sources for free e-books.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
My wife has an older version of the Kindle and likes it. But since I got my iPad, that has taken its place. Waiting for next version and upgrading.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I read every night fo ra hour or more. I go through a lot of books a year so I ahve looked at the readers. HTe problem see is I can buy the new books in paperback at under $6 at COSTCO and all the new releases, even a few years old are much more then that. So why should I buy a mini computer to then pay more for a book they don't have to print and distribute? I am waiting to see who ends up with the best one or I will just buy a small computer and use it. I think the Ipad will be hte way to go.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are a few basic questions to answer.
1. does he have wifi?
2. does he want touch screen or not?
3. does he want lcd or e-ink? they are completely different things. lcd is back lit e-ink is not and easier on the eyes.
4. is the newspaper carried on either system?

With the nook your credit card is part of the unlock code for each book you download and must be tied to it. Some people care some don't. All other are linked to the device like a computer id code.
Search and edit features are easier and broader on the Kindle.
All systems have DRM's and they can be broken, if you feel the need to to use on other devices you have, (for personal use only). There are free apps for it.
Coworker has just bought the nook for the color screen and pictures in kids books -not a lot of reading but other stuff/games.

For more info I suggest going to www.mobileread.com. There is a lot of good discussions on all the readers.

We have had several Kindles and in case you couldn't tell we like them the best.
Lots more to consider with the purchase -- research=good

Hope the info helps
Purple People Eater

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Is the DRM that much of a concern on an e-reader? Why?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not really, it's their security feature. You may not be able to get some books from some vendors. Also tracking for sharing purposes. IF you are only using it yourself o problem. I just do not like having my credit card info as the unlock code for my books and in their records perminently. I use gift cards to buy books though, just to avoid it.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Not really, it's their security feature. You may not be able to get some books from some vendors. Also tracking for sharing purposes. IF you are only using it yourself o problem. I just do not like having my credit card info as the unlock code for my books and in their records perminently. I use gift cards to buy books though, just to avoid it.
Thanks. I registered at mobileread and gave it a quick look. Thanks for the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts