Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm already fed up with the "Brand New Look" window popup that makes its appearance for every topic on the forum. Why can't you let something that wasn't broke, alone?

·
FREEBIRD
7,776 Posts
Card view vs. Comfort view, whatever that means. I just switched back to comfort view.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Super Moderator
10,348 Posts
I got one pop-up notifying me of the new card view with instructions on how to go back to the previous view (now called "comfort view"). I am not seeing this pop-up notification occur repeatedly. I only saw it once, acknowledged it, and it has not shown up again. What are others experiencing? Is the new card-view notification pop-up appearing more than once for others besides PaXman11?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same here, first few visits I got multiple popups but seems ok today.

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Card view vs. Comfort view, whatever that means. I just switched back to comfort view.
So how did you do it? I got no such notice, it was just there. All the time. For every topic.

·
Super Moderator
10,348 Posts
To switch back to "comfort view", do the following: Click the three vertical buttons in the top right of any page. In the resulting menu, select "View Mode". In the resulting window, click the "Comfort" button, and lastly click "OK".

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
654 Posts
I believe card view is what the mobile browsers have seen for some time. Now desktop view matches the mobile view. I like it. I makes each post a "card" instead of all the same frame.

·
FREEBIRD
7,776 Posts
I found the card view cut off words at the edge of the screen on my cellphone. Returning to comfort view brought the border back. I only saw the pop up once.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
654 Posts
I found the card view cut off words at the edge of the screen on my cellphone. Returning to comfort view brought the border back. I only saw the pop up once.
Did you have your browser set to Mobile or Desktop view for webpages? It seems good on my phone in Mobile view.

·
FREEBIRD
7,776 Posts
I'm assuming it's set to mobile as it looks completely different than on my PC.

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To switch back to "comfort view", do the following: Click the three vertical buttons in the top right of any page. In the resulting menu, select "View Mode". In the resulting window, click the "Comfort" button, and lastly click "OK".
Thanks, just did that. If I have any further problem along this line I will inform you.

·
Super Moderator
10,348 Posts
PaXman11, It was only by luck that I knew what to do in this case. I usually am not the most adept at maneuvering around the VTX Cafe forum. One reason for this is that I have never had the various problems that others have reported. I've never had popup ads, never accessed the site via phone or tap-a-talk. I use on computer and Chrome browser and have been lucky to never have had any difficulties.

By all means let me know if you have further problems but please post them in an open thread as it is more likely you will get knowledgeable assistance from others and not me.

·
FREEBIRD
7,776 Posts
Isn't this a open thread? I'm so confused. I blame the covid weed. 😁

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PaXman11, It was only by luck that I knew what to do in this case. I usually am not the most adept at maneuvering around the VTX Cafe forum. One reason for this is that I have never had the various problems that others have reported. I've never had popup ads, never accessed the site via phone or tap-a-talk. I use on computer and Chrome browser and have been lucky to never have had any difficulties.

By all means let me know if you have further problems but please post them in an open thread as it is more likely you will get knowledgeable assistance from others and not me.
This was an open thread. I thank you for your assistance anyway. It seems to have done the trick. I just don't understand the need for a tekkie to have to screw with something that isn't broken. I don't use a phone either, I have a laptop, Firefox, Chrome, etc. Def. not a savvy user here.

·
Super Moderator
10,348 Posts
Sorry. I was not criticizing your use of this forum and I know that it is an open forum. You said, "If I have any further problem along this line I will inform you." with the "you" referring to me. I meant that if you do run into further problems and choose to inform me, do so in an open forum and not by PM/Conversation. This will assure you get more help than just I can offer.

You (and I) only access this site via a computer which is a method that many (especially younger persons) consider quaint and archaic. I do not know why the company owners changed things this time but consider that perhaps it was related to how others access this site.

Another possibility is that the previous code was becoming outdated and would no longer function properly with the changes in Chrome, security upgrades, laws (mostly in the EU where there are very stringent regulations about security of personal information), etc. Perhaps changes had to be made to keep the site running at all. During these necessary changes, perhaps the programmers implemented some other changes that affected how the site appears.

Of one thing you can be certain - it costs the owner money to change the site. The time spent by programmers to recode the site is obviously not free. Since it costs money to change the site, the owner must believe that spending this money and effort is worth it. It may not be beneficial to you and may even be inconvenient to you but I bet it is an overall benefit to the site audience as a whole. Lastly, remember that the site audience includes way more people than you and I know and interact with. I suspect there are far more unregistered users of this site than there are registered members.

As the saying goes, the only constant in life is change and this definitely applies to websites and software. All of it changes over time.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,713 Posts
They do these changes in mass across every verticalscope forum at the same time. When you use multiple forums you have to deal with resetting each one. Quite annoying. The old days of having one account used on multiple forums with settings universal are long gone. Facebook replaced a lot of the forum format of social media. The problem I have with Facebook is trying to search older group postings is difficult.

·
Faith Fears Not
82 Posts
I like the card view much better myself. It separates each users comment clearer. IMHO
I only got the "change" pop up once though, if it had repeated that would have been annoying for me too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts