Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Its been a while I have been on this forumn :) i have a 2005 VTX 1300C . I purchased a Kuryakyn ISO grip from an online store and had my mechanic installed these along with some other work. I was informed that he cannot install these grips as he might have to break the throttle sleeve. he also mentioned that his mechanic who owns a VTX could not mount it on his own machine and accidentally broke the throttle sleeve.

Long story short , I know I have seen other pictures of VTX with these grips. Can someone please instructions on how to install this on my machine.

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
Its been a while I have been on this forumn :) i have a 2005 VTX 1300C . I purchased a Kuryakyn ISO grip from an online store and had my mechanic installed these along with some other work. I was informed that he cannot install these grips as he might have to break the throttle sleeve. he also mentioned that his mechanic who owns a VTX could not mount it on his own machine and accidentally broke the throttle sleeve.

Long story short , I know I have seen other pictures of VTX with these grips. Can someone please instructions on how to install this on my machine.

thanks
I had a 1300 yrs ago and they changed my stock grips to ISO grips just fine. I've had an 1800S since 2008 and changed my stock to ISO. Had one come loose after many yrs, so I pulled them both off then put them back on after cleaning them up. I cannot see how there would be a differnece.
There is a great Youtube video on how to do it.
The way I do it is as follows:
Asssuming you have the stock grips:
  • the clutch side grip has the metal cap. Grap it with plyers or something and pull it off.
  • the throttle sie screws on and off, so just loosen and twist off.
  • grab a long VERY thin screwdriver and some WD40.
  • work the screw driver in bwteen the bar and the grip and squirt WD40 in as you do. You will need to do this a few different locations so the WD40 gets around the entire bar/grip.
  • then just work the grip by twisting and it will slide off prety easy.
  • on the throtle side you should be able to do the same thing without any problems.
-Once you have them off, clean the bar real good to make sure you have no WD40 left on it.
  • take the glue that came with the grips and squirt it down into the ISO grip turning it as you go to ensure the glue gets around the entire inside of the grip. (directions are with your ISO grips)
  • do your clutch side 1st.
  • slide the grip on and quickly get the grip lined up with however you want it to look on the bars as the glue will start to set pretty quick.
  • do the same for the throtle side but do NOT get any glue at the cap end of the grip.
  • let it set about 24hrs just to make sure they are seated well.
When I purchased my grips they came with one tiny tube of glue. I purchased another one so I put one tube in each grip.(thats just me - a little anal about things)

There are yuou tube videos out there for the VTX if you want to watch one. Thats how I learned the 1st time. (tried to "qucikly" find one but did not find one specific to VTX - it's out there, I just didn't have the time to look longer.)

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude . Thank you so much for your help and I really appreciate that . I did see the video that really helped..
will do it once I get the bike back

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
788 Posts
I put some Iso grips on my VTX some years back. The only real issue I had was my throttle lock wouldn't fit over the rubber, so I had to cut the exterior trim piece and just screw on the pieces. Loved those grips, I even got the throttle boss tabs or whatever they are called for both sides. Very comfortable to ride with them after that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. All..there is slight gap between the control switches and the grip... but I can live with it... I appreciate all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts