Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
nice link. they look good all lit up on that bike. i used some from autozone. so good so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Well. Here's a photo. It went pretty well. I'm kind of a dumbass when it comes to electrician-type stuff, so I was stumped in the beginning on the wiring. Once my friend (who used to be an electrician) clued me in, I was off to the races. I snugged everything up with black zip-ties and electric taped the WHOLE damned thing so it was tight, black, and out of sight. Wound up looking pretty damned bitchin' for $23 + tax give or take.

The gripes:
It is a DIY type of thing. There is a reason why it's $23+/- dollars for a 10 light pack and not $150 like the friggin' Kuryakyn sets. BUT, I think the results are comparable and maybe even equal if you know what your doing.

The double sided sticky pads they send with the kit are a big waste of money. I would have rather had a few extra lights instead of them paying to buy the tape and marking it up on me. Cause that crap, IS NOT STICKING to a bike. Like I said, I stuck with zip-ties and tied things off on things that made since under the tank. Because of the lame-ness of the double-sided sticky my on/off switch will not stay mounted behind the air cover. SO, I will embark to discover an adhesive solution that will not permanently stain or leave goo on the housing if I ever strip this kit off the bike. More on that later.

Second. IF you buy one of these kits, take care to not bend and maneuver the lights by the tips. Why, you ask? I broke one off. It all started with some shorting out. I see it shorting, and I go, "WTF?!" then I keep screwing with it till it eventually lost connection. THEN I think, "oh, I'll just solder this back" and the ground snapped. (In other words you are seeing 4 lights in the photo not 5. (There are another 5 on the other side, but I didn't photograph it)

Due to the proximity of the tank on the air cover side of the bike it was a lot harder to get the same illumination and quality that you see in this photo. Hopefully, I will post the other side soon for you all to see. It is just...different. The clearance is difference so the lights don't shine across the headers the same and of course, the air cover just jets out too far to get any light on it really.

Bare in mind, my strategy was to keep the bulbs themselves, along with the wiring COMPLETELY out of sight. I think this makes for the best job. Keeping it ambient.

So, in closing. If you've been looking for lights and you had you position at work eliminated like me so you are strapped OR if you just think "some companies" are bending you over by asking for $100+ dollars for handful of L.E.Ds than go for it. You will be glad you did, just take your time and proceed with care like any good D.I.Y project.

Hope this helps.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
that looks sweet brother. great job and here's to you....:drunk:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just ordered mine from www.oznium.com. I will put them on next weekend I hope. I will also post pics. I don't know the quality yet but will soon enough.

Got enought for the whole bike (210 bulbs) for around $130

ummm 210 bulbs!?!?!? YIKES cant wait to see THAT christmas tree! post pics!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Led

Hey let us know how that works for you - poor man here also, I only became poor when I bought my VTX, but she like a good woman, she can have it all as long as I enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
madphill,
did those lights wire directly to the battery, or was there a power box you had to wire in place?
also...
i cant remember where i saw it , but theye make a chemical to paint on any clean surface that will make double sided tape stick for sure!!!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Sorry for not posting pics. Actually I had forgot about this thread. I have a couple more sets of lights to install and THEN I will get some pics.

2000, I would have hated to wire those in.
No doubt...The 20 I have took me an entire Saturday to do....He had to have done them in stages...50 here, 100 there...LOL!!!...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks good above! Anyone install the Kury Lizard Lights? I am thinking of getting the Maximus pack (8 lights) for my ride, and adding the remote transmitter. The remote is what is really turning my head toward the lizard lights and the ability to expand.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts