Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today, I'm following a detour through a neighborhood and take a curve in the streets at around 15-20 mph. Nothing fancy. My bike has Kuryakyn highway pegs bolted onto the frame with spacers that came with the bike when I bought it from a guy. Well, those bastards screwed me royally today.

As you can see:

they add width to the frame just below the footboards and also lower the clearance of the bike below the footboard too. The worst part is....they aren't friggin' springloaded. If I lean too far and the footboards hit, they fold up as you all know. I'm about 90% sure the culprit was this.

So, anyway, back to my story. The bike hits the deck, I jump off onto my shoulder and what not and then I just laid there watching/listening to the screeching, grining metal slide a good 25-30 feet towards an oncoming car. The bike never hit the car and before I could pick it up the chick in the car is asking me if I'm okay of course. I am. BUT, i'm FURIOUS.

I'm no pro or anything, but outside of embarassing this was just ridiculous. I could NOT figure out for the life of me how I had lost control of my bike. What do you guys think? You've seen the photos above. Don't you think this is what laid me down too? The bolt on the outside of the spacer and the spacer DEFINITELY had been hit.

SO. Now, I've got a pair of Vance & Hines Cruzers that are scratched up. That is the biggest ouchie. I can't afford to fix most of this shit. Dumped most of my money on the bike already, so I'm pretty bummed out. I went from riding high on a showroom quality bike (in my mind) to looking like a chump on a scuffed up thing in NO TIME.

I am currently shopping for (mostly making a list, of damages) the following parts to try and reclaim my beauty to health again.

Red Front fender:
*it's barely scratched, but already had a place on it, so I thought I may as well see if anyone has one lying around.

Brake Lever: Scratched

Throttle / Brake cables:
The throttle cable was damn near severed and I barely putted home. The brake cable is not as bad, but is slightly damaged and I don't want to take chances. Also, do the silver "L" shaped pieces that the cables run through come with a set usually???

Fluid Cup and/or Cover
: The cover and cup are scuffed.

Vance & Hines Cruzers: I called Vance & Hines. They're all one piece, so I can't simply replace the mufflers (both of them are scratched but the pipes are fine) I also called a chroming place and they said it'd be cheaper to buy new ones. GREAT.

Brake pedal lever: Bent.

Memphis Shield: Scratched

I will be removing these bullsh*t highway pegs and hopefully the work fairy will shine on me soon so I can afford engine guards.

This BS will set me back on my Mustang seat and Saddlebags fund for quite a while.

If you know anyone that needs a Graphic Designer now would be a great time to throw work my way! I am an accomplished Creative Strategist and Brand Consultant.

:nope:

·
Registered
857 Posts
that sucks dude. Sorry to hear about it

I would say those bolts sure do look suspicious :icon_susp

maybe someone wants to buy your old scraped up pipes? and the death highway pegs. I think the pipes could be painted black if someone wanted to black out their bike.

good luck man

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had those same kury mounts. Mine would touch down before the pegs (C model) but I never lost the bike because of it.

What kind of detour were you on? Was the road torn up? Gravel, Sand?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike man, but glad you're alright yourself!

I had those same highway peg mounts on my 1300C too. I nearly laid the bike down as I was leaving the dealership the day I bought it! I leaned over too much plus there was a pavement bump and it hit on the lowest part of that mount. Mine was actually rotated up as far as it would go so the mount actually hung down lower than yours.

In my case I was on the gas pretty hard so all it did was cause the rear wheel to lift just a little bit but as soon as it hit pavement again I was back under control. I got home and rotated the mounts as far forward as I could (like yours) and then never dragged them again. If you were on any kind of loose surface then I could easily see this causing you to go down.

But now I have Accutronix Forward controls installed and 2 days after getting them on I scraped the brake side on a down-hill right-hander that's about 90 degrees. Scared the crap out of me but didn't lose control of the bike at all.

Are you gonna put your mounts on eBay? That's what I was planning to do but I don't want to create a competing auction with you if you plan to. Let me know and I'll be sure to scan what's out there before I list mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
...maybe someone wants to buy your old scraped up pipes? and the death highway pegs. I think the pipes could be painted black if someone wanted to black out their bike.
+1 - put them on the classifieds section. For the right price, I'm sure someone will jump on them and you can use that money towards your fixes.

Sorry to hear about you going down man but we're all glad you're okay ;)

·
citement
2,236 Posts
Sorry to hear about it man. You're okay, it's the most important. My crash bars saved mine from any real damage. Those things are worth their weight, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have them on my bike and I am sorry you laid it down , it is good to know they can touch the road , I never have had them hit. Glad your OK

·
Desert Recluse
1,517 Posts
Throttle / Brake cables: The throttle cable was damn near severed and I barely putted home. The brake cable is not as bad, but is slightly damaged and I don't want to take chances. Also, do the silver "L" shaped pieces that the cables run through come with a set usually???

Brake pedal lever: Bent.

:nope:
Replace the bad cables.. straighten the brake pedal or replace if necessary... go riding.. scratches don't mean anything... when you have money to piss away you can paint and chrome.. I probably wouldn't tho.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
2º Left of self-centered
2,820 Posts
Replace the bad cables.. straighten the brake pedal or replace if necessary... go riding.. scratches don't mean anything... when you have money to piss away you can paint and chrome.. I probably wouldn't tho.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

+1

After some of the crap I have ridden a few scrapes don't mean squat. Hell, they add character :D

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
That sucks, looks like I'm gonna have about $2000.00 in mine to get it back up. And I'm doing all but the paint myself. Just be glad your ok.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone. I feel less like a dipsh*t now. My ego took the hardest hit I think. My elbow and knuckles will be fine.

I think I will probably eBay the suckers off to help pay for the engine guards fund. That is the first thing my buddy told me when I saw him post-wreck today. "I told you so. Get rid of those things and get some Lindby's"

@midwestrider: Go ahead and post yours. I've got cables to worry about before I probably put them on eBay.

For the pipes., I doubt I"ll get enough for them to cover the cost of new one's. (or near it) I called V&H and the Cruzers are all one piece so they can't do anything. It's $400 for new one's. I also called a chromer in town and they said they can't dip mufflers cause the carbon ruins the tanks. So...

They're really not scratched all that bad, but you know, with chrome...everything shows. I'd sell em' for $300 I suppose if someone wanted them. Then I'd be out $100 for new one's.

As for the fender. I haven't decided if I'm going to try and touch it up or just by chrome tips and cover them up. Cables are first priority so I can ride again.

@Scar & Rodent042:
I envy your mindset. Unfortunately, I don't share it. I love my bike shiny and new looking. I hate every little ding and scratch and dead bug. My buddy is the same way. "gives character" he says. I say, drives value down and makes me look like a novice rider. haha.

·
Registered
495 Posts
HEY MP,
I'm in the 'boro too. Let me know if I can help u through this bad time.
W

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks, everyone. I feel less like a dipsh*t now. My ego took the hardest hit I think. My elbow and knuckles will be fine.

I think I will probably eBay the suckers off to help pay for the engine guards fund. That is the first thing my buddy told me when I saw him post-wreck today. "I told you so. Get rid of those things and get some Lindby's"

@midwestrider: Go ahead and post yours. I've got cables to worry about before I probably put them on eBay.

For the pipes., I doubt I"ll get enough for them to cover the cost of new one's. (or near it) I called V&H and the Cruzers are all one piece so they can't do anything. It's $400 for new one's. I also called a chromer in town and they said they can't dip mufflers cause the carbon ruins the tanks. So...

They're really not scratched all that bad, but you know, with chrome...everything shows. I'd sell em' for $300 I suppose if someone wanted them. Then I'd be out $100 for new one's.

As for the fender. I haven't decided if I'm going to try and touch it up or just by chrome tips and cover them up. Cables are first priority so I can ride again.

@Scar & Rodent042:
I envy your mindset. Unfortunately, I don't share it. I love my bike shiny and new looking. I hate every little ding and scratch and dead bug. My buddy is the same way. "gives character" he says. I say, drives value down and makes me look like a novice rider. haha.
The ego often times takes the hardest blow. ;) Glad it wasn't any worse!

Biddy

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Lindbys, you better go for more than just looks
I have heard they fold up in a heart beat.
Do some research befor you decide what you want.

I have the paladins fatty bars and I know they work well in my driveway tip over not even a scratch other than the EGO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just glad to know that you are OK enough to fix your ride!!!

Patience with the repairs. Your attitude of fix the cables so I can ride is right on.

·
Desert Recluse
1,517 Posts
@Scar & Rodent042:

You're young -- Let me know how ya feel about it 20 bikes from now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Man, sorry for your luck, bought some highway bars today, I better get the on as you indicated it can happen fast. Good luck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts